triggering buttons w/ DMX?

the first tab of Live, with pages and buttons
drphoto

triggering buttons w/ DMX?

Post by drphoto »

As this program has DMX in, I'm assuming I could use and external DMX controller to trigger buttons, like I'm doing w/ MIDI, but I can't figure it out. Can some tell me if possible and how to do it.

I have an Elation DMX operator and a generic DMX/usb interface. If this works, I'd like to get a 24 channer 2 scene preset console.
support
Administrateur

Re: triggering buttons w/ DMX?

Post by support »

First of all, your interface must have a dmx input socket.

If yes, you can set this in:
Live > right click in the button > select "Button trigger" > check the option "DMX" > select the trigger dmx channel in the drop down list > press "Apply"
The Lighting Controller
drphoto

Post by drphoto »

Hmm, I don't know what sort of signal the dmx console outputs from each button or slider. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have the "learn" function that makes setting up MIDI so simple.

Anyone out there tried this?
eedetail

Post by eedetail »

Yes, I use a 24 channel wing console, DMX out from it goes into my interface (box) DMX in.
In live you can set triggers just like using midi, but use a dmx trigger instead.
From Live, right click on the button you want an external trigger.
Click button trigger.
Bottom of the window is DMX trigger, select which channel you want to trigger that button.
Note that a console with sliders will only act to trigger the button on and off.
I hope that helps,
TimE
drphoto

Post by drphoto »

Thanks for the quick reply. I know this may seem like a silly question, but I don't know what button or slider is associated with, say dmx channel 1.

I tried pushing many, moving the sliders but nothing.

I only started learning about dmx lighting about a month ago.
eedetail

Post by eedetail »

What console do you have?
drphoto

Post by drphoto »

right now an Elation DMX Operator. Do I need the type of dmx board that is meant for controlling dimmer packs? I know the Elation Scene Setter is like that.
eedetail

Post by eedetail »

I have used a scene setter and a stage setter as a wing console, havent used the dmx operator. If it can be configured to output single channels it will work.
drphoto

Post by drphoto »

That's the answer I needed. Thank you sir
drphoto

Post by drphoto »

Before I invest in another console, are you able to control a fader button with the physical faders on your wing? I'm assuming this is possible. thanks again for your help.

Return to “Buttons”