Blinking and random dmx channels turning on

post here general topics for software
support
Administrateur

Re: Blinking and random dmx channels turning on

Post by support »

Please make this test:
- disconnect the dmx interface
- disable "Midi In" and "Midi Out" in the main menu "Preferences", and disconnect your midi equipment from the computer
- run the software and press some scenes
And let us know if you still see the problem.
The Lighting Controller
BartKrap

Post by BartKrap »

support wrote:Please make this test:
- disconnect the dmx interface
- disable "Midi In" and "Midi Out" in the main menu "Preferences", and disconnect your midi equipment from the computer
- run the software and press some scenes
And let us know if you still see the problem.
Yes, I did that yesterday already, I wasn't seeing the issue then.
I connected the midi controllers, enabled everyting and it worked just fine for a while, tested a normal 30 minute "balls to the wall" manual show like I do in real life.
After that I left to go to work, I came back, moved some faders, mashed some buttons and it started all over again.
Head of lighting, lighting designer and lighting operater at De Zoom and Pinky's in Renesse and Ron van der Veen Entertainment.
Luc Henrion

Post by Luc Henrion »

then it looks like a MIDI issue, don't you think so? No MIDI "loop"? No MIDI hardware sending a lot of unused/useless data?
BartKrap

Post by BartKrap »

Luc Henrion wrote:then it looks like a MIDI issue, don't you think so? No MIDI "loop"? No MIDI hardware sending a lot of unused/useless data?
Yes, I would have agreed with you but now I'm not so sure anymore.

I had all my dimmers assigned to the "fixture Midi inputs" before this problem came up. While testing I decided to use the "hard dmx/midi patch" and I'm not getting the blinking in 3d or random dmx channels popping up anymore.

Support, you can try to recreate this problem by first assinging the dimmers of different kinds of lights to the "fixture Midi inputs" using a (virtual) midi device and you can see random lights blinking white or strobing while they aren't getting a signal. Then try and assign those same channels to the "hard dmx/midi patch" and the blinking should be gone. Please look into this as it could be a show breaking bug.

(also, why is this post under V6, I'm definitly using V8)
Head of lighting, lighting designer and lighting operater at De Zoom and Pinky's in Renesse and Ron van der Veen Entertainment.
support
Administrateur

Post by support »

also, why is this post under V6, I'm definitly using V8
Sorry, our mistake.
Topic is back in "General software" section.
The Lighting Controller
Lothiam

Post by Lothiam »

We are having the same issue. Have tried USB hub powered and direct from pc for the controller. Blinking is not as pronounced after upgrading dmx cable from 512 plus controller to dimmer packs and dmx splitter /isolator.

Still happening, especially if using pc for anything besides lighting controller or even when saving scenes in show express. Multiple computer tested and have 8 gb of ram and about 25 % ram usage.
BartKrap

Post by BartKrap »

Lothiam wrote:We are having the same issue. Have tried USB hub powered and direct from pc for the controller. Blinking is not as pronounced after upgrading dmx cable from 512 plus controller to dimmer packs and dmx splitter /isolator.

Still happening, especially if using pc for anything besides lighting controller or even when saving scenes in show express. Multiple computer tested and have 8 gb of ram and about 25 % ram usage.
Have you updated to the latest version?
Did you try a new usb cable?
Lothiam

Post by Lothiam »

We have tried different USB cables, powered USB hub, different versions/builds, replaced DMX cables with higher quality cable. I did try the most recent version 8.2.18 but it wouldn't let me have two solo pages with a scene loaded from each so back down to 8.2.10.

We are at the end of our rope and trying to figure out what our options are before replacing ShowXpress because we cannot find an issue. We have noticed that doing anything else on the computer compounds the issue.
BartKrap

Post by BartKrap »

Lothiam wrote:We have tried different USB cables, powered USB hub, different versions/builds, replaced DMX cables with higher quality cable. I did try the most recent version 8.2.18 but it wouldn't let me have two solo pages with a scene loaded from each so back down to 8.2.10.

We are at the end of our rope and trying to figure out what our options are before replacing ShowXpress because we cannot find an issue. We have noticed that doing anything else on the computer compounds the issue.
What are the computer specs?
I'm looking for CPU, kind of harddrive/ssd, age, uses, installed programs, etc.
SeekLighting

Post by SeekLighting »

Lothiam wrote:We have tried different USB cables, powered USB hub, different versions/builds, replaced DMX cables with higher quality cable. I did try the most recent version 8.2.18 but it wouldn't let me have two solo pages with a scene loaded from each so back down to 8.2.10.

This is gonna sound kinda dumb, but have you considered that the problem may be unrelated to your controller? Sometimes a faulty DMX lead somewhere the in chain can cause this problem, have had it happen to me numerous times. Easy way to test this is to use your controller on multiple different rigs, or alternatively use a different controller (ie perhaps a hardware controller), and of course check all your DMX cabling.

Return to “General software”