BPM sync with DJ software

only for things which concern both Buttons and Timeline
DHoude

Re: BPM sync with DJ software

Post by DHoude »

Yea, I am realizing that this would be easier sometimes. That needs to be done on the VDJ side (if they have some time). While the plugin is not capable of this yet, I am not sure you can map key stroke to buttons on a plugin. So it still may be quicker to flip.

BUT I have mapped keys to set cue points on the fly (while track is playing). The lights respond instantly, you you could make a cue point using my map commands while the track is playing and the lights will respond. I posted my commands above.

I am working on a better solution though, one where I can set the point, name it and bring the CUE name edit winow up, so I can type any Button name in.
DHoude

Post by DHoude »

So, you can use this command to auto name, but bring up the cue name window to specify the button:

set_cue 10 & cue_name 10 "DMX|CUE|REPLACE_THIS" & cue_name
set_cue 10 & cue_name 10 "DMX|PRESS|REPLACE_THIS" & cue_name
set_cue 10 & cue_name 10 "DMX|RELEASE|REPLACE_THIS" & cue_name

Just delete the "REPLACE_THIS" with your button name. This may not work instantly, but is a different way to do things. I also set it up for CUE 10 this time. I like using solo play on the Live screen so it shuts off the old button, witout a release command. Then there will only be 1 lighting CUE delete button (delete CUE 10) that will work for this method. Not good for complex lighting staging though.
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

I think that the best way to address this functionality problem would be to allow VDJ to map a keyboard key that would actually send a midi signal from within it's keyboard mapping tab. Then obviously set the button in LIVE to trigger via the midi note. Could this be included in the plugin? As it stands right now VDJ can receive midi signals from various controllers, it it just needs to be able to generate midi signals to "send out" and be a "virtual midi device" that showxpress could recognize . Then any key on the keyboard could be used to trigger any button in live. It sounds like a very simple process but I am not a software programmer so I don't know how difficult this would actually be. This would however be a huge leap forward for all of us who need to control lights and DJ at the same time. It would be FANTASTIC if this could become a reality!
support
Administrateur

Post by support »

We also like this idea.
Please note that our software is ready for such new function.
We encourage you to post your requirement in the VDJ forum. Then the VDJ team will know it, and there would be a chance they upgrade the VDJ plugin.
The Lighting Controller
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

OK. Will do! Also if you have been working With anybody from vdj please do forward the info so hopefully We will be able to make this happen soon. Thank you.
support
Administrateur

Post by support »

The Lighting Controller
DHoude

Post by DHoude »

I will send Scott a private message over there to ask about this. He wrote the plugin on the VDJ side.
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

That would be AWESOME! Many thanks!
DHoude

Post by DHoude »

it would still be a good idea to post on the link that support left. So that they can generate some interest too. The PM was sent to Scott this morning too.
DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Hello, been testing this on SX 6.31 for awhile now (since it come out anyway) at my house. This past Saturday I decided to go live with it. I even staged a show with Cue points, etc. Once I had everything working for this show at home, I just shut down both of my PCs (the DJ one and the Lighting laptop) and headed to my show.

I got there and set everything up and the only difference was I was now on my wireless Hotspot, instead of my home wireless network (which is where I was 2 hours before and it worked). For some reason, I just could not connect the 2 PCs with this plugin no matter what I did. Basically in a fit of desperation, I diabled the firewalls on both machines and it eventually connected with litereally 0 time left to mess with it. I seriously had a floor full of dancers and had to start.

When I got home, I was able to replicate the results on my home network after re-enabling the firewalls (which I have not shut down before). Long story shorter, my Lighing laptop with Win XP (that I never use at all, just lights), that Firewall is the cause of this. This PC was formatted in AMarch 2012 and ONLY used for lights ever since. I looked at the XP Firewall and it is set up for Live mobile to pass and both TCP & UDP ports 7348 are open (which Show Express must have done for me on the install).

So I am looking for ideas on how XP might just all of a sudden decided to not let that traffic pass that has worked for over a month and earlier that same day. I have not done any updates on this machine for several weeks and I repeat, this laptop is not used for anything else. XP, Show Express, Prefect Disc (defrag) and Drop Box (to back up my light shows) and nothing else is installed. No internet use either, I literally closed it and went to my show.

My theory, in Win 7, there is a way to tell the Firewall what kind of connection it is like Home, Work or Public. I know that certain services can be disabled for public or whatever you set up. I figured that must be the difference with the new Wifi connection, but my Win 7 desktop showed "Home" which I was enabled for. I can't find any setting like that in XP. I know something happend, I just can't use this plugin anymore without disabling the firewall on the XP laptop, but it worked fine 2 hours before. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

Return to “General”