Flickering in DMX Signal [fixed]

post here general topics for software
aldholland

Flickering in DMX Signal [fixed]

Post by aldholland »

Hu guys,

I have a problem with two Sweetlight setups. There is a constant flicker issue on the dmx line comming from the software. I had this problem
before in V5 and this was programmed out with an update. Do more people have this problem?

I'm using one setup with SSA and one with BOX on a XP and a Vista system.
:?:
nsw1216

Re: Flickering in DMX Signal

Post by nsw1216 »

I'm having this problem too. We have an SSA set up and linked to a XP. The SSA does fine when its in stand-alone but once I try to use the software to control the show it will randomly flash a few lights or all the fixtures will all flash at once.

I haven't been able to figure out whats causing it but I'm still working on it. If you figure anything out please let me know and i'll do the same if i find anything.
support
Administrateur

Post by support »

We checked the dmx signal with an oscilloscope. With all channels at level 0, the dmx signal looks the same in stand-alone mode and in computer mode. Please tell:
- brand & model name of the few lights which flash randomly
- does this happen when all channels are at level 0, or do you have to fix some levels to some channels ?
The Lighting Controller
jaxx00974

Post by jaxx00974 »

I dont have this problem so I cant test the suggestion Ii am about to make, It is only a thought ok ?

If it works in standalone but flickers every so often when connected to a PC then the only other 'signal' that is used and sent intermmitantly would be the '32k' packet which ethernet sends to keep itself alive (called a noop command I believe) How about disabling all the network ports and see if that is where the flicker is coming from ?

Once again, I do not have this problem but Ii believe Sweetlight/ Showxpress can be accomodate ethernet control etc

Just an idea but probably wont work :-)

Lee.
support
Administrateur

Post by support »

To know if the problem could come from Ethernet side, please tell us if the flicker still occurs when you set fixed levels in Editor (no "play" mode).
- if the problem stops with fixed levels, Ethernet could be the cause
- if the problem still exists with fixed levels, there is a good chance that it does not come from the computer
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Post by support »

Presently, we are not able to reproduce this problem, but we suspect that the usb stream with some computers could be too fast for the interface. Could you please try this:
- go in the the software folder (where are the exe files: ControlBoard.exe, Setup.exe, ...)
- move the file "ControlBoard.exe" in another location (in your destop screen for instance)
- download this file http://download.thelightingcontroller.c ... lBoard.zip
- unzip and copy "ControlBoard.exe" in your software folder (this new "ControlBoard.exe" sends the usb data a bit slower than the original "ControlBoard.exe")
Tell us if the flicker problem still exists or not, with this new "ControlBoard.exe" file.
The Lighting Controller
aldholland

Post by aldholland »

With the new Control Board the problems stays the same, I discovered that I get a DMX signal drop when I multi-task between screens in Windows (Vista, XP).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQEMnJTgoOw

Check out the VID I made of the problem.

:idea: I tested it on SSA and BOX with driver 1.03
support
Administrateur

Post by support »

We are still not able to reproduce this problem.
Box and Ssa have similar electronic technology. In order to know if the problem comes from the pc side or from the interface side, could you please make the test with interface D512 or Remote ?
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Post by support »

We think the usb behaviour of your computer is different than with our computers.
Please download again the zip file. It contains a new ControlBoard application with some usb code modifications.
There is a good chance that this new ControlBoard.exe fixes your problem.
The Lighting Controller
aldholland

Post by aldholland »

Hi guys, thanks for the update, the new "control board" works much better, the flickering is not always there when I switch between pages in Windows......but
so now and then the DMX signal still has a drop :?: :?:

Return to “General software”