MIDI feedback in the future? Some other MIDI questions...

the first tab of Live, with pages and buttons
Ryan0751

MIDI feedback in the future? Some other MIDI questions...

Post by Ryan0751 »

Currently it seems you can only assign MIDI to trigger scenes. I have a MIDI controller which has illuminated buttons (an iPad using TouchOSC), and it would be VERY nice to have MIDI feedback such that the controllers display is updated when scenes change.

I'm actually using OSCulator on OSX, with TouchOSC sending messages to it, and in turn OSCulator appears as a virtual MIDI input in ShowXPress.

I have tried setting the output of OSCulator to "MIDI CC Toggle", and using a "toggle" button in TouchOSC, but it requires me to tap the buttons twice to change the state of the ShowXpress scene. So I've had to make the TouchOSC controls just "buttons" and use "MIDI CC" to send signals to ShowXpress, but then my controller doesn't have any display of what is actually happening in the software. The iPad is great as a controller and is limitless in what you can do!

Another thing is, why no MIDI control of individual fixture channels? How would I accomplish, say, changing just the gobo of a fixture? Lets say I trigger a scene with a movement pattern and blue... and want to just change the gobo (without modifying the movement and color)? Can you create a "special" scene that just modifies that ONE parameter without changing the others?

Thanks!
support
Administrateur

Re: MIDI feedback in the future? Some other MIDI questions...

Post by support »

Can you create a "special" scene that just modifies that ONE parameter without changing the others?
Of course you can, while you respect this: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=383

Otherwise, more efficient midi management is in the TODO list, but no specific time frame for that.
The Lighting Controller
SirForce

Post by SirForce »

Any word on the ability to provide MIDI feedback in Live screen or send MIDI notes?

For example using a Novation Launchpad to send MIDI messages to ShowXpress Live to start/stop scenes is great and works but the lights on the launchpad do not illuminate. Not sure how this might be implemented but if it were possible to set specific midi notes to send when a button is activated or deactivated that would allow for control of the launch pad led's including updating status when chase play is used.

Being able to use the launchpad would be incredible especially if it had feedback lights - minimalist type config with tremendous power.
support
Administrateur

Post by support »

If you tell us the necessary midi messages to light on the buttons of your midi device, we will have a look at this.
The Lighting Controller
SirForce

Post by SirForce »

The programmers manual for the Novation Launchpad is here http://d19ulaff0trnck.cloudfront.net/si ... erence.pdf

The row and column would need to be specified dynamically, the color would be nice too in this case a combination of RED or GREEN with a mix of those two resulting in amber output with varying levels of intensity.

For me a simple ON/OFF is sufficient. If a custom midi note/value could be specified for each event of a button on and button off that would allow proper feedback of the midi launchpad button status. This would result in the launchpad always indicating the correct on/off for a given live button regardless of how the live button was activated (keyboard shortcut, midi, mouse click, etc).
spirosaslanis

Post by spirosaslanis »

i have the same problem with my midi controller "akai apc20"
i want when i activate a scene the led on my midi controller lights
midi feedback its the solution ...
support
Administrateur

Post by support »

We worked a bit on this.
Need some time, especially in MacOS side.
No time frame.
The Lighting Controller
LightWorx

Post by LightWorx »

Hello Support. Has there been any change in the status of providing output status LED driver for the novation launchpad? I am using the Windows USB version.
support
Administrateur

Post by support »

Not before first beta of new major version is released.
And we need some more weeks to get it ready.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Post by support »

Please read this: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=3010
The Lighting Controller

Return to “Buttons”