First impressions

post here general topics for software
Pink LD

First impressions

Post by Pink LD »

I can adapt to it's layout easily enough. I actually like the tabbed approach to all the features of Setup, Editor, Live, Pixels, Timeline, etc.
However it was a little odd that it didn't have an install programme. I unpacked the files and the just moved them all to a V7 folder I created and then made a shortcut to the Controlboard on my desktop.
But the Live coulours need to be changed. I need the whole buttons to be the colour I choose. And on buttons I have not designated colours for the White default with black text worked just fine in previous editions. I don't dislike the black buttons with blue text, but I am not sure if it will be good enough contrast in show conditions.
Perhaps we programmers should have control over that? I might like would like black default buttons with green text but the next guy might like green buttons with black text.
support
Administrateur

Re: First impressions

Post by support »

Thank you for these comments.

We propose the alpha version in a simple ZIP file, because it is faster and easier.
We will add the OS installer later, with the stable version.

Regarding buttons colors in Live, we face two problems:
- some users want a dark screen (needs to be less luminous in some places)
- the "visitors", who play with all lighting software in order to decide which one they will buy, say Live looks either washy (with only a few gray buttons), or looks like a christmas tree, when there are several colored buttons. And we have to find a way to make the screen Live to "charm" these new possible customers.
The Lighting Controller
Pink LD

Post by Pink LD »

I understand your reasoning. But my solution is a compromise. You can certainly have the default be dark and slick for marketing and users that prefer that but I use full colour buttons for all kinds of visual cues.
I just tried using images for some test buttons of .bmp files of solid colours, as well as a few image files I use in V6 and it does not present well. .bmp images and solid colours are contrasted under the black button overlay.
I am unsure of any other workarounds I can try but as first impressions go from a seasoned pro user, I don't like it. I am not saying it doesn't look shiny and slick, but it has reduced the level of visual customisation I had in V6. A level of customisation I used for a wide variety of visual cues. And the small colour bar on the buttons on V7 is too small to really be useful for the kind of coloured visual cues I am accustomed to.
20140407_054816.jpeg
This is my movers busk screen. I have dimmers and shutters on, all in red, Gobo 3 (Klingon) on, in a fast tilt saw, and the prism on.
My gobo page has images of each gobo but you can't see them. My colour wheel page has coloured buttons but it is difficult to tell at a glance.
And FYI the first page, top left, has a Macro button wirh a solid yellow colour .bmp file for an button image.
support
Administrateur

Post by support »

Can you please post the same screenshot with V6 ?
The Lighting Controller
Pink LD

Post by Pink LD »

Post 1 of 3
I chose a slightly different screen shot in that the first 2 pages (Top left and bottom left) are more illustrative of my usage of colour:
20140407_125420.jpeg
And I will post V7 pic in next post...
Last edited by Pink LD on 07 April 2014, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
Pink LD

Post by Pink LD »

Post 2 of 3
V7:
Screen Shot.jpg
Last edited by Pink LD on 07 April 2014, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
FraBob

Post by FraBob »

I'm intruding ... to say my impression:
the graphics are more "modern" but little comfortable during use
one thing very convenient for me is the graphics levels in option ' fader button' and 'step button'
Pink LD

Post by Pink LD »

FraBob wrote:I'm intruding ... to say my impression:
the graphics are more "modern" but little comfortable during use
one thing very convenient for me is the graphics levels in option ' fader button' and 'step button'
You are not intruding. This is what the forum is for and thus thread is about Live Button colours. Your input is welcome.
Pink LD

Post by Pink LD »

Post 3 of 3:
I was going to add another picture but the thread reports that "The board attachment quota has been reached"
But I was going to illustrate with my DS Presets and associated Macro page how I use Live Button positions and colours to indicate what fixtures I am using as well as who I am pointing it at.
support
Administrateur

Post by support »

The Lighting Controller

Return to “General software”