triggering buttons w/ DMX?

the first tab of Live, with pages and buttons
drphoto

Re: triggering buttons w/ DMX?

Post by drphoto »

Seriously? I completely understand restricting DCX out to a purchased controller, but DMX in?

Isn't it based on a std. protocol? There are no Xfactor interfaces I've seen available for sale, unless you've got one in the archives you want to send me.

I mean why even claim there's DMX in at this point?

Look, I like MIDI too, I've got an APC 20 & Korg nano, but push on/push off buttons are really awkward live. With the DMX board, I could have a fader be on=up and off=down. Super easy to see and control.

I know I appear to complain a lot. There's a lot to love about this software at the same time it seems half baked. in addition to this gripe, half the time my keyboard short cuts in Mac OS 10.8.6 don't work since I went to V.7.
support
Administrateur

Post by support »

Your remark regarding DMX input makes sence ; we will see what we can do.

Regarding the keyboard shortcuts problems (with V7 only), can you please open a new topic with it, and tell us more ?
The Lighting Controller
drphoto

Post by drphoto »

Thank you for not being offended. I really do like this product

I think everyone has their own way of working in a live environment. I like to have physical control of scenes and big DMX board fit that idea.
Please don't rule out DMX in. Make it universal and as an add on to MIDI in. Between the two.....you'd have a fantastic way to control the live environment.

I know you guys have to be a pretty small scale shop without the capital of a big developer like Adobe. but still, I did pay about $500 US for this.....so I feel like I have a right to give an opinion. :)

BTW: if anyone has an Xfactor for sale.............LMK.
eedetail

Post by eedetail »

I have several reasons that I really like to have dmx in.
1: Wing console allows me to use my left hand for something. Most often, it is controlling specials for highlighting solos. Basic washes too. But, I have most of the 24 channels used for something for the shows I do.

2: If I ever had a catastrophic failure of the Box, or computer, I can very quickly take over some of my rig, so that I would at least still have control of washes, and front fixtures, as I purposely addressed them within the first 24 channels. I cant do this with Midi, as none of my fixtures are midi controlled.

I would love to have a second universe of the box with dmx in, please dont stop supporting the feature.
TimE
pogjack

Post by pogjack »

Doesn't the new Rack have that option. If it can just be sent to US for distribution we would have a newer interface with DMX in, right?
Pink LD

Post by Pink LD »

I have to say that fkr those that wish it something like a 48 ch DMX to USB dongle would be a nice flexible option. Something that would be an additional separate option. While still leaving the Midi function as way forward for future and current line USB DMX hubs.
drphoto

Post by drphoto »

pink, are there hardware MIDI to USB mergers out there? I've not found one. Considering MIDI pipe software, but a hardware solutions would be nice and seems more stable.

It's good to see a few others like the idea of using DMX triggers as well.

Clearly I don't know anything about software development, but what is the technical issue w/ using the Enttec DMX Pro for DMX in? Could this be a simple fix? Surely there's no encryption on the DMX input.

Again, so you guys don't get the wrong idea. I really like this software. Just discovered using the generator on fixed wash lights. That's a fantastic feature.

cheers to all.

Return to “Buttons”