triggering buttons w/ DMX?

the first tab of Live, with pages and buttons
drphoto

Re: triggering buttons w/ DMX?

Post by drphoto »

and I'm a Mac guy. Out drummer did give me a PC laptop if I need it. One reason I bought this package is that it runs on Macs.
Pink LD

Post by Pink LD »

That I don't know. I am a user. Perhaps Support has something to say about that. I don't think it is a bad idea for those who wish a DMX wing console. I just don't know if it could be done and feasible cross multiple platforms.
drphoto

Post by drphoto »

I don't care if I have to use the PC it just irks me that you have to use the old Xfactor interface. I mean why do they claim you claim input from DMX when it requires an interface they no longer sell. This is total crap.
Pink LD

Post by Pink LD »

I'll leave Support to answer more specifically where they are going with it and what there considerations are. But I do agree with you an open source hub for console input is not a bad idea if it could be done. Open source hubs are not terribly expensive but the ones I am familiar with are fir output, not input. Maybe there is something like that but I do not know. I'd have to do some research.
Having said that I still think a digital midi wing might be a better choice in the long run. Analogue faders can be imprecise.
support
Administrateur

Post by support »

We think that midi wings is the future. For an affordable price, they have faders, rotating faders, buttons, and all with LEDs. The dmx wings can not compete with this new generation of midi wings.

PS: we recently added "midi output" in the software, in order to control these midi LEDs.
The Lighting Controller
drphoto

Post by drphoto »

well you can get a 48 ch. DMX clone of the Elation Scene Setter for $240 USD. As far as I know no one makes a MIDI 'wing' with more than 9 faders. I like faders. guess I'll have to learn to live w/ buttons on MIDI controller.

Would have been nice if there was some notice in the manual that you had to use the Xfactor interface to trigger DMX. Very misleading. Might as well just delete DMX triggering now.Anyone got an Xfactor they want to sell??
drphoto

Post by drphoto »

The promise of DMX triggers is one reason I bought this software vs the others. Gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed.
Pink LD

Post by Pink LD »

I've got 2 but I ain't selling them.
drphoto

Post by drphoto »

It occurred to me that my problem may be that the generic interface I got is USB to DMX. I assumed it could work both ways, that is convert DMX to USB. Enntec sells a converter that has DMX in for $170 US. Anyone think that would work? I mean there's no encryption on the DMX input right? I'd really like to use the DMX wing. Now I have to set up scenes that are both 'stackable' and button mode. Wth the slider I could have both together. (up=on, down=off) plus I could have real time crossfading with the workaround I discovered.

BTW: Thanks to Pink for all your help. I would love to see one of your shows.
support
Administrateur

Post by support »

Our software is not able read dmx input via this interface.
The Lighting Controller

Return to “Buttons”