BPM sync with DJ software

only for things which concern both Buttons and Timeline
support
Administrateur

Re: BPM sync with DJ software

Post by support »

We are ready to (beta only):
software version 6.31beta: http://download.thelightingcontroller.c ... ss_Win.exe
VDJ plugin (and PDF explaination): http://download.thelightingcontroller.c ... plugin.zip
The Lighting Controller
DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Looks great, thanks for the instructions too! I will check it out tonight.
DHoude

Post by DHoude »

So 1st run is pretty good, tried the cue points and everything. I do like how that is set up. I also have it set to connect across the network (lights and sound are on separate PCs) It all seems to work smooth with bpm making it to the other lighting laptop. So THANK YOU!!!

That being said, I did see a small issue. When I play a song in VDJ and I have set a "Press" cue point to start the lights, the lights start like normal. But if I pause the song, the lights turn off (possible issue). If I hit play again, the lights do not come back on (this may be the bigger issue). I have to go back to the lighting laptop to turn them on.

Not a big deal that they turn off with a Pause in VDJ. But not a fan of darkness for long and I have accidently paused a "Live" deck. So it would be nice if it is possible, to have them turn back on again with play (1st choice). Either that or not turn off at all if I Pause the deck in VDJ. It is fine if they are on, but stop advancing because the beat grid is no longer being passed by the deck.

I will definitely put some more time on testing it. Thank you very much it is awesome! I only have two thoughts for future projects on this plug-in.

1. When the bpm was sensed by the mic of my laptop, the laptop would stop or change with the song breaks. It would be nice to have a pause button in VDJ to stop the scene advancing (color flipping) when the beat stops. Not a biggie, just an idea that others may like.

2. I would love the ability to change the speed off fractional or multiple beats. Like this.
Faster 1 CBG (in VDJ) = 4 beats in Show Exp
Faster 1 CBG (in VDJ) = 2 beats in Show Exp
1 to 1 (no speed change)
Slower 2 CBG (in VDJ) = 1 beat in Show Exp
Slower 4 CBG (in VDJ) = 1 beat in Show Exp
Slower 8 CBG (in VDJ) = 1 beat in Show Exp

These enhancements should really cover most requirements that people may want. Again, this is all awesome as is and very thankful for it. After using it for the night, I think those ideas would fill out everything I could want.
support
Administrateur

Post by support »

Thank you for this report.
if I pause the song, the lights turn off
We are not able to reproduce this problem.
In our side, when we pause the song, the scene keeps running.
We do not understand how Live could switch off the button, without any "RELEASE" (or "CUE") command from VDJ !
Can you please tell us more, in order we can reproduce this problem ?
It would be nice to have a pause button in VDJ to stop the scene advancing (color flipping) when the beat stops
Noted in TODO list (not easy because must be coded in VDJ side).
ability to change the speed off fractional or multiple beats
Great idea ! (easy because can be coded in our side)
Not sure we can add "faster", but for sure we will add "slower". Noted in TODO list.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Post by support »

ability to change the speed off fractional or multiple beats
"Slower" is existing already.
"Faster" noted in TODO list.
The Lighting Controller
DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Cool, I think I would rather have the speed control on the lighting laptop so that I am not switching screens in VDJ (and risk messing up playback).

As far as the lights going out with pause, I have not had it happen again tonight. My wife saw that last night, so I am not going crazy... lol Also, I DJ with Music videos, not sure if that is a different test for you guys. I was using an .MP4 video by "Timbaland" called "Pass at me". So for tonight, everything seems to be behaving very well and naturally (exactly how I would think it should all work). That include playing this video with the points that I set last night.

Music is pumping to Show Express that is running on this laptop as I write this. So I guess we are pretty good! I will put some time on it, have some big shows comming up, but a few weeks to test during practice sets.
Last edited by DHoude on 09 October 2012, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
DHoude

Post by DHoude »

I had one thing to add to the manual, the "CUE" option you added is to toggle on or off (just had to figure it out on my own, no biggie). Were the "PRESS" is descrete ON and RELEASE" is discrete OFF.

Now My contribution is some Mapping commands to use in VDJ to help manage this plaugin and CUE points (with Auto Name):

Use CTRL + L to launch the VDJ plugin "Others" page to start "The Lighting Controler" plugin

CTRL + L - show_pluginpage "Others"

Number Keys set Cues 6-15 & Auto name Cue point
YOU MUST REMOVE "***YOUR BUTTON HERE***" and replace it with your button name.
There does need to be " " on either side of the full CUE name. Example "DMX|CUE|MyButton"

#1 key - set_cue 11 & cue_name 11 "DMX|CUE|***YOUR BUTTON HERE***"
#2 Key - set_cue 12 & cue_name 12 "DMX|PRESS|***YOUR BUTTON HERE***"
#3 key - set_cue 13 & cue_name 13 "DMX|RELEASE|***YOUR BUTTON HERE***"
#4 key - set_cue 14 & cue_name 14 "DMX|CUE|***YOUR BUTTON HERE***"
#5 key - set_cue 15 & cue_name 15 "DMX|CUE|***YOUR BUTTON HERE***"
#6 key - set_cue 6 & cue_name 6 "DMX|PRESS|***YOUR BUTTON HERE***""
#7 key - set_cue 7 & cue_name 7 "DMX|RELEASE|***YOUR BUTTON HERE***"
#8 key - set_cue 8 & cue_name 8 "DMX|CUE|***YOUR BUTTON HERE***"
#9 key - set_cue 9 & cue_name 9 "DMX|PRESS|***YOUR BUTTON HERE***"
#10 key - set_cue 10 & cue_name 10 "DMX|RELEASE|***YOUR BUTTON HERE***"

Delete Cues 6-15 by holding ALT + SHIFT + the number

ALT + SHIFT + 6 - delete_cue 6
ALT + SHIFT + 7 - delete_cue 7
ALT + SHIFT + 8 - delete_cue 8
ALT + SHIFT + 9 - delete_cue 9
ALT + SHIFT + 0 - delete_cue 10
ALT + SHIFT + 1 - delete_cue 11
ALT + SHIFT + 2 - delete_cue 12
ALT + SHIFT + 3 - delete_cue 13
ALT + SHIFT + 4 - delete_cue 14
ALT + SHIFT + 5 - delete_cue 15
support
Administrateur

Post by support »

Thank you for these "mapping commands".

The VDJ manual has been updated with "CUE/PRESS/RELEASE" commands details.
The Lighting Controller
DHoude

Post by DHoude »

I can do plenty more if people want on the mapper to get them started quickly. I personally use Cues 1-5 for song cues and my controler set those, so I wanted to be able to set 6-15 for lighting with the keyboard. There can be plenty more and I am open to sugestions. But I hope they help others get started faster.

Feel free to PM me with questions as I don't check forums as much as I use to. But this is all working great so far.
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

Hello, great work on syncing the BPM and cue points. One more important aspect would be to be able to map a keyboard key to turn on or off a button in Live. Is this possible with this plugin? I've been reading everywhere but am not noticing this being possible yet. Quite simply I would like to be able to turn on and off certain buttons in Live while being in the VDJ screen (and not needing to flip the screen back to "live") by mapping a keyboard key in VDJ to turn on or off a button in Live. Any input would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Return to “General”