Router

post here topics for the iOS app only

Router

Postby pogjack » 15 November 2011, 13:37

I do the lights and sound at my church. I have had this software for about 2 years in use and 3 yrs in practice

I have a basic home router (Netgear) box I have been using without a problem for the live_Mobile.
I just recently added an Allen and Heath T112 digital board to the set which adds another 3 machines to the router set up.

Now i have a hit and miss on my Live_Mobile working and connecting. Sometimes my iphone will work and sometimes my ipad will work

Response from the really techy people onboard please. Would you say that the router is not handling the traffic well or is there something else i am missing.

Netgear router
Windows 7
Iphone 3gs
Ipad 1
pogjack

Re: Router

Postby tomrbland » 15 November 2011, 14:48

What is going down your network?

Are you running Ethersound etc? It seems to me like you might be trying to run too much through the system. Perhaps split the lighting and audio on to different systems and see if that fixes the problem?
tomrbland

Postby pogjack » 15 November 2011, 18:13

with the digital sound board, the surface and mixrack(snake) is connected directly with a cat5 cable, so no ether sound is being transfered via the router. But I am having a feeling that since I have 3 additional items on the router then it must be slowing it down and even effecting my ability to connect to the Live_Mobile good.

We are in the process of getting a higher grade router that hopefully will fix the problem.

The issue I have with two different systems is that I may want to switch between lights and sound on my Ipad or Iphone and not have to change the network each time, so I am wanting to keep the on the same network for this reason.

Also, this network is not connected to the internet b/c theres nothing worse than in the middle of a service or drama that the computer flashes up "update available" or this computer will reboot in 30 seconds. I haven't gotten to the point yet to turn that stuff out.

Just was wanting to here some ideas, bet practices, etc.
pogjack

Postby tomrbland » 15 November 2011, 20:06

Ah, I see what you are doing now. I'm afraid I can't help. Let me know how you get on with an upgraded router though.
tomrbland

Postby pogjack » 15 November 2011, 21:46

Will do, thanks
pogjack

Postby kahilzinger » 16 November 2011, 00:24

Unrelated but as far as stopping Windows Updates from rebooting your computer, shut off the Windows Update service on your computer in services.msc.

As far as the bandwidth issue, are you wired or wireless? If you are wired, you might want to invest in a fairly decent network switch. If you are using a hub (which are practically not available, anymore), bandwidth is shared and therefore there might be collisions causing communication problems. A network switch eliminates that problem because packets are only sent to the destinations they need to hit.

If you are wireless, you might run into a lot of problems. First of all, wireless is a shared network medium, like an old network hub, which means that everyone on the network gets whatever someone else sent and if someone wants to transmit a packet while the network is busy, it either waits if it knows it is busy or sends the packet, causing a collsion. Think of a room full of people in a meeting. When people are talking, no one else can talk if you want to hear what the people are saying and if it is silent and 2 or more people start talking, they stop and figure out which one will start talking. Also, in wireless, you are in competition with other radio sources. If you have several wireless access points transmitting and receivng on the same channel, you are going to have problems. If your equipment can find a free channel at least 3 channels above and/or below something else, you get better performance. And finaly, things like microwave ovens or other devices that send a lot of radio signals unrelated to network traffic, along with the room, might cause interference.

When I can, I go wired for almost everything. I only use wireless to suplement wired connections in the case of mobility or meeting rooms. I am a network engineer as far as my day job so I should know a little about this. You might put the devices that stay places on wired connections and leave the live mobile for just the wireless. For that reason, I have always hated ad-hoc wireless networks.

Hope it helps.
kahilzinger

Postby pogjack » 16 November 2011, 02:33

That makes it much more clearer.

I just recently hard wired my controller computer into the router b/c it was right next to it (so I thought, duh. . why not plug it in and free up some wireless space).

The only wireless devices connected to it are a full time lap top and randomly use the iphone and 2 ipads.

We have another network at the church that is used for the internet, so are you saying I can change the freq or something on mine to get its "distance" from the other broadcasting network. You comments give me some different options to pursue.

Thanks,
pogjack

Return to iOS (iPhone, iPad)