Crash while using Midi?

live control with midi devices

Crash while using Midi?

Postby GPC » 03 June 2019, 15:52

Twice now I have been using ShowXpress with an Akai APC Mini when the buttons/faders just stop working. When I look at the computer, ShowXpress has shutdown. Restarting ShowXpress works fine and as expected.

I think both times I was using more than one button/fader at the same time or possibly in quick succession, I have not yet been able to replicate the issue.

Are there any limitations to the midi input/outputs that might cause this?

Thanks in advance.
Gary

PS. I am using ShowXpress V9.1.15, Windows 10.
GPC

Re: Crash while using Midi?

Postby support » 03 June 2019, 16:30

No known limitations.
If you can reproduce the problem, please let us know.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby GPC » 05 August 2019, 23:03

This specific software crash has not happened since. I did stop putting my radio mic near the data cable connecting the Akai APC Mini to my laptop.

However, tonight the Akai APC Mini stop sending midi signals. If I used the mouse to select a scene, the corresponding button would light up and the show would work. But pressing the buttons did nothing.

I restarted ShowXpress and unplugged the Akai and plugged it back in. Unfortunately, Virtual DJ took over control of the Akai as well as the Pioneer (both VDJ and ShowXpress run on the same windows 10 laptop). Which meant I could no longer use the Akai to control ShowXpress.

So, this leads me to two questions:

1. Is it possible the USB cable is not of high enough quality to maintain to stable link from ShowXpress to the laptop?

2. Is it possible to make the Akai APC Mini ONLY connect to ShowXpress?

Thanks in advance.
Gary
GPC

Postby support » 06 August 2019, 07:24

Is it possible the USB cable is not of high enough quality to maintain to stable link from ShowXpress to the laptop?

The usb cable which comes with our dmx interface is a good quality cable.
We do not think it will be better with another cable.

Is it possible to make the Akai APC Mini ONLY connect to ShowXpress?

It is not possible for our software to link to the APC mini as long as this device is linked to another software.
You have to change the settings of the other software in order to not force the connection with the APC mini.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby GPC » 02 September 2019, 13:36

The usb cable which comes with our dmx interface is a good quality cable.
We do not think it will be better with another cable.

But you do not supply the USB cable for a Midi device, in this case the Akai APC Mini.

It is not possible for our software to link to the APC mini as long as this device is linked to another software.
You have to change the settings of the other software in order to not force the connection with the APC mini.

There is an option in Virtual DJ to ignore a midi device, this sorts out the problem.

Here's the info if anyone else has the same problem:
With the controller plugged in, in VDJ ->SETTINGS->CONTROLLERS tab-> select the Controller and in the mapping drop down list select IGNORE:
http://www.virtualdj.com/manuals/virtua ... llers.html
GPC

Postby support » 02 September 2019, 22:33

Thank you for this feedback.
Reported here: https://thelightingcontroller.com/viewt ... =94&t=6410
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to Midi