Multi Universe Order

computer, driver, ...

Multi Universe Order

Postby Nelsound » 13 May 2019, 00:11

After reading subject matter on the forum, it seems I have other issues that everybody else.

I just added my fifth universe, my laptops have only 2 or 3 usb ports but a 7 input usb hub handles them just fine.
The problem I am having is how to lock in the 5 ShowXpress boxes to its corresponding order. Every time I setup I have to
waste a bunch of time trying to get the boxes to control the universe that it belongs to. I numbered each box, cable,
and input and one would assume that plugging everything in the same place would be enough, but every time I fire things up,
it seems to assign the boxes randomly. One thing that does work is enabling one universe at a time, checking it, them move on
to the next. But then again this processes is adding unnecessary time when time is not usually a luxury.

Is there a way to predetermine the universe allocation?
Nelsound

Re: Multi Universe Order

Postby support » 13 May 2019, 06:53

At power on, the Operating System creates a list of usb devices.
And our software asks the OS for this list.

This list is supposed to be always the same.
It is not normal that the OS changes it randomly.
We sugggest you to make some tests (with only two usb devices, with another usb hub), in order to find the cause that makes this list to change randomly.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby thorehl » 17 July 2019, 08:04

Can confirm the same problem, as with 2 APC minis directly into computer. Doesn't matter if stationary or laptop. Should try to add som kind of hardware id
Thore
lydlys.com - Freelance sound & light engeneer
Using HW: D1024 & D512
Controller: 2x Akai APC mini
my DIY light mixer
thorehl

Postby Nelsound » 19 June 2020, 07:41

Continuing this subject that was pandemically put on the back shelf.

Since I cannot get this dilema under control, I have been sacrificing quantity for quality. I can get 2 universes to cooperate at any time, and the third Universe will work only when plugged into another port other that the ones universes 1 and 2 are in. (1 and 2 are pugging in together via a hub into USB port 1 of my laptop). After getting the 3 universes somewhat stable, the problem I am having now is of a different nature it seems. (FYI - In order to add universe 4 I am using another USB hub into USB port number 2 of my laptop). Showxpress will start up just fine and all four universes are present and accounted for. Universe 1, 2, and 3 will operate like they should, but as soon as I touch any instrument in universe four, I loose connectivity to all four boxes, (the green light stops flashing), and restarting the program has no effect, I have to restart my computer to reinitialize everything. (It dumps the program even with no transmitter plugged in the output of the usb box).

I have been trying different configurations, switching ports, swithching universe order, even starting from scratch with no fixtures in any of the universes but I can't get universe 4 to work. I know all the cables are good plus I am using wireless DMX so there cannot be any physical grounding issues. I go out to my studio everyday and give it another go hoping a new day will find a solution and this will be day number 8 and I am running out of ideas.

I am hoping that you or someone else has come accross this isue before and has an easy solution.
Nelsound

Postby support » 25 June 2020, 17:35

We made a quick check with 4 dmx interfaces (Windows 10), and we did not get that problem.
Please try with another PC, and watch the usb power (use self powered usb hubs).
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to General hardware