Show the real DMX Addresses

create scenes with steps

Show the real DMX Addresses

Postby northtrader » 01 February 2019, 18:18

I'm new to ShowXpress (running version 8.2.28 - 171113) but I've watched a few videos online.

In the videos that show the editing of steps, the 'channel numbers' at the base of the channels are the true DMX address of the channel.
My screen shows the 'relative channel number' as it relates to the fixture (1,2,3,4,5, etc....). If my fixture starts at DMX address 173, I'd like the selected fixture to display 173, 174, 175 etc... at the base of the channel rather than 1,2,3,4 etc ....
Where is the setting or preference that will show the absolute DMX address instead of the relative address?
northtrader

Re: Show DMX Addresses in Editor > Steps tab

Postby support » 01 February 2019, 22:26

The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby northtrader » 01 February 2019, 23:10

Thanks. Any development to be able to utilize the relative addressing for internal software management and have the ability to display the true DMX addresses in the UI?

Looks like I'll have to keep a cheat sheet spreadsheet open to be able to work with real DMX addresses when interfacing MIDI controls instead of just being able to look at the editor to see the DMX address of the blue channel on fixture 8. Kind of stupid not to be able to display both in the editor.
northtrader

Postby SeekLighting » 01 February 2019, 23:13

Hey mate,

It's more a question of why do you need to reference the DMX address directly?

Almost all modern lighting control software has moved to some form of abstraction, where the user should never have to worry about the individual DMX addresses, except for in the initial patching. Hog4, ChamSys, Grand MA, etc all follow this. This is just how modern lighting control is. Of course there are still systems within the software to see the DMX addresses, but you shouldn't be relying on them for reference to your fixtures, or programming. It may be worth rethinking your methods here
SeekLighting

Postby northtrader » 02 February 2019, 13:24

Thanks for the enlightenment. I trust everyone will enjoy their weekend.
northtrader

Return to Editor - Steps