Replace a fixture with a different fixture

declare your lighting equipment

Replace a fixture with a different fixture

Postby Pitwipe » 21 January 2019, 05:54

If I replace all of one type of fixture (say a newer LED PAR or Moving Head) with a newer version with any degree of change in the DMX channel layout are there any tools to automate the process of converting existing shows and map channels from the old device to the new device to minimize re-work? If not, is there a suggestion for how to plan for this when creating scenes/shows if you know you'll be upgrading (but don't know which new fixture you'll be getting) down the road?

Thanks,
Steve
Last edited by Pitwipe on 01 March 2019, 06:15, edited 1 time in total.
Pitwipe

Re: Upgrade Fixture - DMX Channel Mapping

Postby support » 21 January 2019, 09:53

If you replace the dmx fixture by another one with different dmx channels, the scenes will not drive it correctly.
There is unfortunately no "smart" converter for that in the software.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Re: Replace a fixture with a different fixture

Postby JohnRichards » 21 January 2019, 12:04

Another example of the power hard dmx patching which is now obsolete !!!
John
JohnRichards

Postby SeekLighting » 21 January 2019, 12:14

This is a feature which myself and PinkLD have requested for a while. We'd love to see this for advanced users. It would help a lot with touring shows where you're stuck with house rigs
SeekLighting

Postby support » 21 January 2019, 15:32

Changing any dmx fixture by a another different model, and the lightshow still works as best as possible.
Yes, we fully agree with you.
That would be perfect !

But we think that, to handle that correctly, we have to make a new major software version which will be "channel based programming".
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby muscanto » 15 April 2019, 18:02

Another good way to handle this might be a replace fixture dialog box that asks you to match channels as best as possible and updates your scenes accordingly with any scenes or generator files that have that fixture activated. The obvious channels will line up, pan, tilt, dimmer, rgbw and then the dialog could ask which channels are which when it does not recognize them.

I'm running into this problem now. The light manufacture sent me an update that adds features but requires more channels. If I want to implement these new features on my moving head washes, I need to reprogram a lot of scenes and generator files since the new channel lineup on the fixture will be different (25 channels instead of 14)... Annoying and time consuming.
muscanto

Postby DeeStage » 08 May 2019, 14:23

muscanto wrote:Another good way to handle this might be a replace fixture dialog box that asks you to match channels as best as possible and updates your scenes accordingly with any scenes or generator files that have that fixture activated. The obvious channels will line up, pan, tilt, dimmer, rgbw and then the dialog could ask which channels are which when it does not recognize them.

I'm running into this problem now. The light manufacture sent me an update that adds features but requires more channels. If I want to implement these new features on my moving head washes, I need to reprogram a lot of scenes and generator files since the new channel lineup on the fixture will be different (25 channels instead of 14)... Annoying and time consuming.

This would be the best opinion but I this will a really hard and difficold work to programm it.
I would really prefer if this is possible.

I would think it would be easier to start this feature for using it in generator...

create a generator project like wo de it at this time.
but with the opinion to import the same generator project to anoter lightshow in live mode, right click on it and select the fixtures where it has to be working to by arrow boxes.
DeeStage

Return to Editor - Fixtures