After Exporting, Files contain "Zero Bytes"

post here general topics for software

After Exporting, Files contain "Zero Bytes"

Postby davelerbakken » 13 September 2017, 05:26

Version 8.2.24
Mac with OS Sierra 10.12.6

Hi,

I wanted to start with a clean slate and exported my light show for safe keeping. I closed ShowXPress, and when I reopened the application all of my fixtures were gone from the Fixtures tab, not represented in Editor and missing from 3D View. When rebuilding scenes in Live, a "no" symbol appeared on the buttons when activitaed. This happened 3 more times thereafter. I finally found that after Exporting, the file size was listed as "Zero Bytes" for my .scex and fixture files. See attached image.

I have since deleted and reinstalled completely. I have also totally rebuilt my show. I'm a good 20 hours or more invested. If I go to export my show, am I going to lose the whole thing again? What is the best way to back up my show?

Thank you!
Dave
davelerbakken

Re: After Exporting, Files contain "Zero Bytes"

Postby support » 13 September 2017, 07:18

A lightshow is a folder. The function "Export" in our software simply does a copy/paste action. You can also manually copy/paste the folder.

The only problem we saw (which is beyond our control), is when you use for instance special characters for filenames under MacOS which are not allowed under Windows, and you export the lightshow from MacOS to Windows.

Please post a link to download your original lightshow (with all fixtures present), and we will check it.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby deepblue37 » 08 June 2018, 00:01

So I have the same problem. But now my original file also has zero bytes on each file. I'll of the files are there there just isn't any information. I have no idea why that would happen to the original file. I could understand if it was the exported zipped file but how did it happen to the original folder? Is there any way to recover those files?
deepblue37

Postby jmilkey » 28 December 2018, 21:06

Was a fix ever found for this problem.
After reading this it occurs to me that I had just exported my light show before I lost everything too....
OMG...
This is terrible.
jmilkey

Postby jmilkey » 29 December 2018, 19:03

THIS BUG COST ME DAYS OF WORK....
NOT COOL.

WARNING DON'T EXPORT LIGHTSHOWS....IT DELETES EVERYTHING INCLUDING YOUR SCENES!!!
jmilkey

Postby SeekLighting » 29 December 2018, 23:31

jmilkey wrote:THIS BUG COST ME DAYS OF WORK....
NOT COOL.

WARNING DON'T EXPORT LIGHTSHOWS....IT DELETES EVERYTHING INCLUDING YOUR SCENES!!!

Hey man, can guarantee you that is not normal software behaviour. I export light shows all the time, have been doing so for years, and have never once had this glitch. This is not normal software behaviour so I don't think it's fair for you to give advice on the forum to users not to use a perfectly functioning part of the software.

It seems that Support is on holidays at the moment. When he gets back hopefully he can give you an answer
SeekLighting

Postby support » 30 December 2018, 18:08

Posting multiple similar messages will not speed up the things (we left only that one and we have deleted the other ones).
Writing messages in capital letters is not really pleasant as well.

FYI, the export lightshow function of our software is a simple "CopyDirectory" command, which copies the folder "../TheLightingController/YourLightShow" in the destination path.
So few people reporting a problem with this function is not enough to consider there is a bug in our software, considering everybody is supposed to use this function.

However, if you are able to reproduce this problem, please tell us how to do, and as soon as we could reproduce it, we will straight work on a fix.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby myates0374 » 28 July 2022, 20:46

Mac OS Mojave

Same Issue

I exported light show to desktop and it exported my show with zero bytes in all files, opened up showxpress and it was a blank canvas?
I have seen this happen to a few other users in the forum with no fix?
Can someone please help? I have never had an issue with this until this morning.

Thank You!
myates0374

Postby support » 28 July 2022, 21:44

Please email us (https://thelightingcontroller.com/viewt ... p?f=3&t=19) a ZIP of the exported folder.
We will check it.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby myates0374 » 31 July 2022, 20:45

Hello!

Just checking back in, as I sent the requested file to support.

Thank You!
myates0374

Next

Return to General software