Can we load/save shows outside of "home_directory" ?

post here general topics for software

Can we load/save shows outside of "home_directory" ?

Postby bago » 08 July 2010, 03:02

I wanted to save a light show in a network directory so that I could work on it off-line (at home or at my desk) and have it easily available on-line (lighting computer). I have tried //DirectoryName, but that simply makes a file called //DirectoryName. Is it possible to save and load a show outside the TheLightingController directory?

Thanks for your assistance!

Barry
bago

Re: Default Directory

Postby support » 08 July 2010, 09:12

The lightshow must be in "home_directory".
So it is not possible to share (and work) on the same lightshow simultaneously with two different computers.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Re: Can we load/save shows outside of "home_directory" ?

Postby jaxx00974 » 09 July 2010, 17:26

Hence why I am still using V5. My parter and I work from our independant homes on the lighting show we are creating and simply copy both our work into the laptop that is designated for the show, works a treat in V5.

V5 also ran from one folder which is totally perfect, V6 sprays files all over the place, even in XP, so it isnt the fault of how Vista or Win 7 distributes files as per recently mentioned !

Lastly, I was looking forward to being able to create folders within the scenes directory so I could have a folder for scenes specific to a certain light, ie, one folder for backlight pars, another for rig pars, one of scanners etc, unfortunatly the software only sees files in the scenes root directory, pity. When you have many 100's of scenes it is a nightmare scrolling through them all especially if your using alot of scenes. I have resorted to using letters of the alphabet for each song, like 'addicted to love' scenes have 'a addicted scanner' and so on the choos 'b' for the nest set of song scene files, so Ii can scroll directly to a or b wand find my list of dedicated scenes for that song.

Nothing is making me desperate to jump to V6, although, if they included good copy and paste in the timeline I would make the jump. BUt I alreayd posted about this in the timeline section. Come on people, make a noise for copy and paste ! ! ! :-)

Lee.
jaxx00974

Postby bago » 09 July 2010, 21:45

I can certainty understand the need to have mutual and exclusive use of a file, so editing a file simultaneously was not my intended function, but the ability to maintain a single destination directory of shows and/or scenes would seem to provide a significant level of flexibility for show, scene and even stage development.

Is there any likely hood that this capability might be added in the future? I tried to ad an alias of the network directory thinking that this could be an easy workaround, but it didnt work - :(

As for cut and paste, even as a new user, I have already found the need for these features so I would support that addition as well as the ability to re-arrange (move) and insert steps within the scenes in the editor.

Thanks for the quick response.
bago

Postby support » 10 July 2010, 09:25

FYI
- under Windows Vista&Seven, it is forbidden to write files in folder "Program_Files"
- V6 supports subfolders for scenes (see ChangeLog)
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby marco » 10 July 2010, 12:29

looks to me the way to save and load a show on a network would be with the import /export funtion. how it works is explained in the manual.
grtz marco
marco

Postby bago » 10 July 2010, 13:20

Thanks Marco - its not as clean as I would like, but it is easier then what I have been doing up until now.

Have a great day.
bago

Postby tomrbland » 10 July 2010, 17:06

jaxx00974 wrote:Lastly, I was looking forward to being able to create folders within the scenes directory so I could have a folder for scenes specific to a certain light, ie, one folder for backlight pars, another for rig pars, one of scanners etc, unfortunatly the software only sees files in the scenes root directory, pity.

You can do this, well I do anyway! My folder of scenes has subfolders for each group of lights. (come to think of it this might be why I can't get them to work in timeline...)
tomrbland

Postby support » 11 July 2010, 09:12

Yes Tom, you found a bug: TimeLine does not read properly scenes stored in subfolders.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby tomrbland » 11 July 2010, 15:59

Cool, I haven't had much time to play with it yet.
tomrbland

Next

Return to General software