Can the DMX-AN be used with a wireless router?

control Artnet fixtures

Can the DMX-AN be used with a wireless router?

Postby Earl Harvey » 29 November 2018, 12:47

I'm curious if the DMX-AN can be used with a wireless router 2.4 G or 5 G
I'm a veteran to DMX but Artnet is a new to me
Is anyone else doing this?
Thanks,
Earl
Last edited by Earl Harvey on 29 November 2018, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
Earl Harvey

Re: Can the DMX-AN be used with a wireless router?

Postby support » 29 November 2018, 19:16

Our knowledge is limted to our software&interfaces, but we suppose yes.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Earl Harvey » 29 November 2018, 22:50

Gotcha! Thanks!
Earl Harvey

Postby Rhythmlive » 08 December 2018, 07:52

Yes it can, but you will still need an Xpress512 or Xpress512Plus dongle connected either directly by USB to your computer or connected by remote USB in order to enable the software to send DMX and Artnet. A dongle is the key you need to unlock the data output feature of the software. If you are wanting the ability to send DMX & Artnet without any peripheral equipment physically connected to your computer, then you can still do that provided your router has a USB port, like most modern routers do for printer sharing. Connect your dongle to your router using a USB cable then the next thing you will need to do before opening ShowXpress will be to establish a USB over network connection using a printer sharing software or remote USB software compatible with your router. Some brands, such as TP-Link, offer this software directly from the product page of each specific router on their website. Other routers, such as D-Link, work perfectly fine with third party software such as SX Virtual Link. Make sure you have established a connection to your dongle before opening ShowXpress, which should be as easy as double-clicking the dongle in your USB over network software. From there open ShowXpress and the little startup window should confirm that the program sees a connection.
Rhythmlive

Postby Earl Harvey » 08 December 2018, 13:56

Thanks Rhythm!
I understand that the Dongle will need to be connected... I am primarily interested in using the DMX-ANs with a router located up in the truss. Although you did answer a second question about using the USB port on a Router with a 512 dongle.
Im using a Netgear Nighthawk 7000 for a router.
Earl Harvey

Postby Rhythmlive » 08 December 2018, 19:12

Perfect, yes you're most welcome. You should consider using a program like WiFi Explorer to determine the most open WiFi channels in your environment. If you get a good or better 5Ghz connection to your router from your booth then definitely take advantage of that faster connection. Enabling your router's beam forming feature will help improve connection speed as well.
Rhythmlive

Return to Artnet