Omnisistem stinger laser not responding to dmx

declare your lighting equipment

Omnisistem stinger laser not responding to dmx

Postby Mikey851 » 05 April 2011, 00:04

Maybe someone can give me an idea. In show express I built the fixture and it is located at dmx channel 13. I named all of the channels and named and added all of the levels within those channels. I followed the directions in the laser's manual on setting it to channel 13. The led display on the back now reads "013".

When I adjust the sliders to turn the beam on and start a pattern nothing happens; no mirror movement, no laser. I suspected that there was something I was doing wrong on the laser itself....maybe there is a dmx mode or something. I called Omnisistem and the guy asked me to take him through all of the steps that I executed. He said there is no problem and that it should be working.

The DMX also connects by a pigtail that connects to a serial port on the back of the laser. This cord could possibly be the problem as well as the laser itself.

I understand that this is probably not anything of your concern but was wondering if you had any ideas as to something I could try or check that I may be overlooking.

If this does not belong here at all remove the thread and I will figure it out somehow. Thanks!
Mikey851

Re: Omnisistem stinger laser not responding to dmx

Postby tomrbland » 05 April 2011, 01:00

Have you checked that the DMX "traffic light" is on? Are you emitting DMX from showexpress? Also, what interface are you using?

Mikey851 wrote:The DMX also connects by a pigtail that connects to a serial port on the back of the laser.

What does this mean? Is the DMX signal input in to the fixture not the usual 3/5 pin cable?
tomrbland

Postby Mikey851 » 05 April 2011, 01:18

tomrbland wrote:Have you checked that the DMX "traffic light" is on? Are you emitting DMX from showexpress? Also, what interface are you using?

Mikey851 wrote:The DMX also connects by a pigtail that connects to a serial port on the back of the laser.

What does this mean? Is the DMX signal input in to the fixture not the usual 3/5 pin cable?

What is the dmx "traffic light"? If you mean the light that is usually there on other fixtures showing dmx signal....this dang thing doesn't have one :( . I did check my dmx levels in showxpress and it corresponded to the levels set on the faders. I am using the xpress512 interface.

Correct, for some reason it is a serial connector on one end with two leads coming off of it; one male and one female dmx connector......seems odd but it may be because you can directly control the laser with your computer if you have the right software.

Luckily I have another one of these lasers on the way so we will see if it's just a faulty fixture.

I will have a great light show one of these days :lol:
Mikey851

Postby tomrbland » 05 April 2011, 09:55

So they are using the ILDA port for the DMX? Strange!

Mikey851 wrote:What is the dmx "traffic light"?

In editor the little button next to the play button. But if you say the levels are changing in showxpress then you are definitely emitting DMX.

That means that it is very unlikely to be a problem with showxpress (unless there is a fault in the out put stage of the unit) do you have another fixture to test it with?

In terms of the laser, there is very little that I can do without knowing more about the fixture.

If you want me to look at your fixture profile then I am more than happy to. Just email it to me (my email address can be found at my website - link in my signature)
tomrbland

Postby Mikey851 » 05 April 2011, 14:13

Yes, I have other fixtures. I have not had any troubles with any of the other fixtures except the rocket laser where the dmx levels in the manual did not match the results when those levels were sent.

I will update the thread later after I test with the other stinger that I will have today.
Mikey851

Postby tomrbland » 05 April 2011, 14:51

Good luck :)
tomrbland

Postby Mikey851 » 06 April 2011, 02:35

Same thing with the other Stinger :evil:

I don't see any possible way that it could be Showxpress or the controller. All of the other fixtures work with it just fine. I will be calling Omnisistem back tomorrow.

Either:
1. The guy I was talking to does not know what he's talking about; he said I was doing everything right. Plus the manual is extremely ambiguous.
2. The little hand soldered ILDA to DMX cables are soldered to the wrong pins.
3. Both Stingers are not working with DMX; they work fine in sound active so the lasers themselves work.

I'm betting on #1 and there's some button combo that puts it in DMX mode or something.
Mikey851

Postby marco » 06 April 2011, 03:45

'hi
do u use the single color stinger? or the multi color stinger?
what did you set for channel 1? if the manual is correct it should be between 131 and 170 (beam on) if u use a single color laser,
channel 3 should be higher than dmx value 10 pattern select (between 0-9 its beam off)
channel 2 isnt in use with single color
channel 4,5,6,7 dont matter these may be off

i dont have the stinger, but had problems with my laser it seems that not all manuals are correct,
u can try setting channel 3 aboce value 9 and expermiment with channel 1 till the beam goes on

good luck
marco

Postby Mikey851 » 06 April 2011, 04:38

marco wrote:'hi
do u use the single color stinger? or the multi color stinger?
what did you set for channel 1? if the manual is correct it should be between 131 and 170 (beam on) if u use a single color laser,
channel 3 should be higher than dmx value 10 pattern select (between 0-9 its beam off)
channel 2 isnt in use with single color
channel 4,5,6,7 dont matter these may be off

i dont have the stinger, but had problems with my laser it seems that not all manuals are correct,
u can try setting channel 3 aboce value 9 and expermiment with channel 1 till the beam goes on

good luck

I'm using a single colored stinger. In my manual it says beam on is 11-50 on channel 1 and to put channel 3 on any pattern...as you said above 8. It also says that channel 7 is usable for the single laser. I have definately had problems with manuals on various electronics in my life. Hopefully the tech support can help me out tomorrow.

I will keep you guys updated. Thanks for the help.
Mikey851

Postby support » 06 April 2011, 05:31

Sorry, but we do not have the opportunity to get this fixture, in order to understand how it works.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Next

Return to Setup