dmx limits on a channel [fixed]

declare your lighting equipment

dmx limits on a channel [fixed]

Postby linsan » 03 February 2011, 14:09

Hello.
I have some JB-lighting Varyscan 3 special+.
On channel 4 (the gobo channel) dmx-value 255 is resetting the fixture by dmx.
Is the any way i can set a limit on that channel in the edit-mode or setup-mode so i can´t send dmxvalue 255 by misstake when programming?
I want to be able to move the fader up all the way without sending the 255-value to the scanners.
It´s a way to let other people do programs without resetting the fixtures al the tim by mistake.
And it would make programming a lot faster.
I had a old Elektralte CP-10 cntroller tat had that feature.

Thankful for a answer.
Kind Regards
Linsan
linsan

Re: dmx limits on a channel.

Postby tomrbland » 03 February 2011, 15:31

Interesting idea. I can see how that would be useful.
tomrbland

Postby pogjack » 04 February 2011, 05:27

Is it possible that on the setup menu, you set that particular channel on that light for a max level no higher than you want. I am assuming then that when the channel is all the way up the max it will send is what you have set.
pogjack

Postby support » 04 February 2011, 08:51

We understand your problem.
Let's say that we could add in the TODO list "possibility to fix a max level to a channel", since this job looks not very difficult to do. But afterwards will come other users with fixtures having several "reset" levels in the middle of the whole cursor range (reset motors, reset pan&tilt, reset all, ...). And presently, we do not see an easy solution for all users.

In the meantime, we suggest you to create all required levels for the channel. Then tell the software users to always proceed to level selection, instead of cursor moving.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby linsan » 05 February 2011, 03:34

pogjack wrote:Is it possible that on the setup menu, you set that particular channel on that light for a max level no higher than you want. I am assuming then that when the channel is all the way up the max it will send is what you have set.

I have tried this but it´s not working.

It would be nice to have a optional mode that the channelvalues in the fixture setting is absolute.
Of course it have to be optional!
When yo don´t have set a value-span for a specific channel in the fixtureeditor the software don´t send dmx.
That would solve the problem for other fixtures that have a reset value in the middle of a channel.
linsan

Postby support » 05 February 2011, 11:44

Sorry but we do not understand. Could you please give us an example ?
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby linsan » 05 February 2011, 18:33

Sorry, I will try to explain.
In my case i would like to do like this:
1:setup
2: Fixture settings.
3:import or create my fixture
4:Select channel (in my case ch3)
5:Now there should be a box to select what i call "Absolute levels" or something like that on that channel.
6:Now if set gobo 1 to: min 000 and max 015 and gobo 2 to: min 017 and max 031 f.ex. that channel would never send value 016.
A value not represented there would never be sent from the software.
So in the Editor the gobofader would send value step by step like this: 000,001,002....014,015,015,017,018 and so on.
So the user must specify all his values in the channel with "absolute Value"- box checked otherwise it would be like now.

I hope you understand what i mean now.
linsan

Postby support » 05 February 2011, 19:06

Understood.
Not easy to do, because many possible unexpected issues, but the idea makes sence.
We can not guaranty right now if we could do it, but it is added in the TODO list.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby support » 23 February 2011, 10:34

We have added a new menu option for channels, which is called "Force levels in Editor".
This is available in the fix files here: http://download.TheLightingController.com/software/V6/
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to Setup