MIDI and Button Control

live control with midi devices

MIDI and Button Control

Postby Detour DJ » 21 March 2016, 08:40

Hi All,
I'm starting to investigate MIDI control for ShowX. After buying an inexpensive and simple MIDI controller app for my iDevices, I was able to connect to ShowX on my Mac. Works like a charm. I wanted to start using MIDI control for quick manual adjustments for my movers' tilt value during live shows, but I'd also like programmed control of the same parameters. For example, I'd like manual control to adjust all the tilts to point at the stage, crowd, over their heads, and also up to the roof. I'd also like the tilts to do programmed movements such as generator scenes for more complex actions. I haven't had a chance yet to hook up any lights, but the DMX Bargraph confirms the MIDI control over the selected DMX channels with yellow lines instead of black. Moving the MIDI faders, red lines show over the yellow to show value. But then selecting a multi-step button or generator scene, those channels show only yellow, which makes me think those channels are locked to MIDI control only. Can I have both MIDI manual and Live button access to the same DMX channels?

Larz
Larz Hanson
Owner-Operator
Detour DJ, Sound & Lighting
7431 Frontage Road NW
Cleveland, TN 37312
(423) 432-3489
DetourDJ@gmail.com
http://www.DetourDJ.com
Detour DJ

Re: MIDI and Button Control

Postby Detour DJ » 21 March 2016, 08:54

Never mind...I found it. By changing the value from "MIDI Input" to "Software" or "Highest Takes Priority" in the MIDI>DMX mapping setup, it allows some crossover between MIDI and Live Button control. Actually, none of the choices are ideal for me. In "MIDI Input" mode, the channels react to ONLY MIDI commands. In "HTP" mode, MIDI and Live Buttons can be used together, but only the highest value between the two would be used, which limits things a lot. In "Software" mode, the channels are accessible via MIDI, but pressing a Live Button overrides the MIDI input. You can set values via MIDI then override them with a button, and then return to the MIDI values by turning off the button. This is the most useful mode, in my opinion, but a 4th option would be nice.

Ideally, I'd like a mode that might be called "Latest Takes Priority", and it's already in use on the Live screen so it would be logical to offer it for MIDI inputs. If you press a button that affects certain parameters, then press another that affects those parameters, the DMX will follow the first and then the second button. It would be very useful for MIDI commands to be treated like buttons in that you could press a button for a certain set of values, make manual changes via MIDI, then press another button and have the DMX respond to the latest changes from whatever source. Call it "LTP" mode. It seems that would be equally as useful as "Software" mode, and WAY better than "HTP" mode.
Larz Hanson
Owner-Operator
Detour DJ, Sound & Lighting
7431 Frontage Road NW
Cleveland, TN 37312
(423) 432-3489
DetourDJ@gmail.com
http://www.DetourDJ.com
Detour DJ

Return to Midi