can't make mij two Akai APC mini's work at the same time

live control with midi devices

Postby Bonifacedj » 14 March 2016, 22:32

jjurisch wrote:... this solved my problem of multiple devices showing up in ShowXpress with the same port name as well... which I think was confusing it...

Can you please tell me how it solved your problem. Have been trying for 6 ours now. No progress, can't make mij two Akai APC mini's work at the same time... :cry:
I regret already not buying a novation as second device.
Bonifacedj

Postby Bonifacedj » 15 March 2016, 00:56

AmpdEntmt wrote:I hope this can help someone out! If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a reply or message me.

i hope you can help me out with my struggling.
i've made screenshots from your steps 3a, b and 4. See > pdf file.
Do you see anything wrong maybe?
Schould work like this already, but my two APC's act like one. I'm not able to program my midi button triggers separately to the second one.

Thanks in advance and for your guidance to multipe MIDI devices in Mac OS X already!
Bonifacedj

Re: can't make mij two Akai APC mini's work at the same time

Postby AmpdEntmt » 15 March 2016, 14:01

@Bonifacedj I just had a look at your screenshots and everything is done correctly.

This seems like a software issue to me, because midipipe is not distinguishing between the two seperate controllers with the same name. If you can figure out how to change one of the device's names, I believe your problem will be solved.

I am also curious to see how @jjurisch merged his/her midi signals with the same names. A message to him/her may be a good idea.
AmpdEntmt

Postby Bonifacedj » 15 March 2016, 14:30

AmpdEntmt wrote:@Bonifacedj I just had a look at your screenshots and everything is done correctly.

Thanks for checking out.

AmpdEntmt wrote:This seems like a software issue to me, because midipipe is not distinguishing between the two seperate controllers with the same name.

Yep, that's the issue. So the tittle of this topic isn't totally correct, they work at the same time, but not as two separate controllers. Kinda like mirrored display's now.
which isn't a surprise, because as you noticed too, midipipe is not distinguishing between the two seperate controllers with the same name.
So using 16 devices as you wrote earlier in your guide viewtopic.php?f=76&t=4169 might be possible, but only on the condition they are all unique types. 16 mirrored controllers isn't useful. 8-)

AmpdEntmt wrote:If you can figure out how to change one of the device's names, I believe your problem will be solved.
I am also curious to see how @jjurisch merged his/her midi signals with the same names. A message to him/her may be a good idea.

Yes, changing the device's names seems to be possible, @jjurisch must have found a way to do that. :roll:
i'll send him a PM.
Bonifacedj

Postby jjurisch » 15 March 2016, 17:49

My problem was slightly different and appears to be a legit bug in ShowXpress when different devices have multiple ports. viewtopic.php?f=76&t=4240&p=17013#p17013

I think you'll probably want to try renaming the devices in your OS using the Audio Midi Setup to differentiate the two. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov08/a ... s_1108.htm Assuming that works, you should hopefully see the new names reflected in midi pipes. I believe you just need to enter Audio Midi Setup (I just enter audio midi in quick finder) and then use the menu to navigate to Midi Setup... I'm on a PC at the moment so let me know if you can't find it. Then I believe you just double click one of the two devices and rename it to something like "APC_right" and "APC_left". http://www.akaipro.com/kb/article/1603 has some details and tools to assist.

You may possibly need to update each device's settings to output on different midi channels as well. For example device 1 on channel 1 and device 2 on channel 10. That may or may not be necessary based on what happens... but based on what I quickly researched on the APC, it doesn't allow you to update any of the hardware settings. That could potentially cause some other issues depending on how the signals are interpreted. For example, if the signal is just a combo of Channel/Param, it may be mirrored still... but if it's a combo of Device/Channel/Param you may be OK. That's above my knowledge level. :|
jjurisch

Postby Bonifacedj » 16 March 2016, 00:25

jjurisch wrote:I think you'll probably want to try renaming the devices in your OS using the Audio Midi Setup to differentiate the two.

Thanks! That worked. See > http://cl.ly/0e2W2j03043G

jjurisch wrote: it may be mirrored still... but if it's a combo of Device/Channel/Param you may be OK. That's above my knowledge level. :|

Yep, unfortunately, it's still mirrored. :(

jjurisch wrote:You may possibly need to update each device's settings to output on different midi channels as well. For example device 1 on channel 1 and device 2 on channel 10. That may or may not be necessary based on what happens...

You mean like this? > http://cl.ly/3y1b3Z293N2R
tried it, doesn't work either.

Think i'll better change this second Akai APCmini for a novation.
Conclusion is that two Akai APC's don't work separate as individual controllers.
Bonifacedj

Postby beuzz60 » 16 March 2016, 08:22

Hello !
I also work on different midi configurations BCF2000, Akai APC and others.
I saw in your midi studio setup that the 2 Akai APC appears like Akai APC mini 1 and mini 2,
so have you tried to view the signal midi of each APC with a software like : Midi monitor ( http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/9950/midi-monitor )
Are the midi signals are the same with each controler ??
Regards
Beuzz Régisseur Son & Lumière
beuzz60

Postby Bonifacedj » 16 March 2016, 19:14

beuzz60 wrote:Hello !

Hi, thanks for joining.

- Just tried it out, downloaded and installed Midi monitor, pushed the first same three buttons on both controllers, and indeed, the midi signals are the same with each controller.
Have a look > http://cl.ly/021O1v461k3x
Bonifacedj

Postby beuzz60 » 17 March 2016, 07:34

Hi,
Ok, what appens in Midi monitor when you are using midi mapping (channel router) on the APC n°2 ??
Beuzz Régisseur Son & Lumière
beuzz60

Postby Earl Harvey » 17 March 2016, 12:22

The problem is assigning each APC to it's own Device ID like you can on a Novation Launchpad...
I use 2 Launchpads and a apc mini with MIDI OX on windows...
I'm trying to dig up some Info on how to assign each apc Mini to its own device ID but not coming up with anything yet...
Earl Harvey

Next

Return to Midi