second AKAI APC mini [fixed]

live control with midi devices

Re: second AKAI APC mini

Postby Bonifacedj » 18 March 2016, 19:31

@AmpdEntmt: Cool project the Akai APC 80 Do-It-Yourself. But nothing for me, too big.
- A 19 inch / 4 to 5 units high midi-controller with 18 faders en 128 RGB-colored buttons manufactured by sweetlight / showXpress itself, wouldn't that be great. :P

- Yep, 'i ll go for the New Novation middle size as second controller next to my APC mini when this last one can't be configured to his own ID.
- Thanks, replied your PM meanwhile.
Bonifacedj

Postby Earl Harvey » 18 March 2016, 20:20

I ended up using an iPad with the app MIDI Designer... I can now have up to 128 faders per MIDI channel. wireless too
Earl Harvey

Postby AmpdEntmt » 18 March 2016, 21:50

@Earl Harvey, I've heard of people using that app for music production, but not for LD's. How do you like it?

Also, how does the wireless communication between your iPad and computer work? Do you have to bring your own router to each show and have a wireless network they can communicate over?
AmpdEntmt

Postby AmpdEntmt » 18 March 2016, 21:56

@Bonifacedj A midi controller made by Chauvet would be an EXCELLENT product for them to offer. Something I'd personally be very interested in, especially since the 'big guys' like MA Lighting offer controllers for their software and not just dmx interfaces.
AmpdEntmt

Postby Earl Harvey » 18 March 2016, 23:24

If your using a windows platform you need to add Apple bonjour so the iPad can communicate with windows... I love that app!
There are a lot of different controllers you can use with the app including X-Y controllers.
you also have to create ports w MIDI Loop so you can merge with a virtual router
Earl Harvey

Postby Bonifacedj » 18 March 2016, 23:52

@Earl Harvey: are you music and light DJ'ing at the same time?
I am.
I gave it a thought using an iPad (still do), but having physical faders under my fingers forces me not to see what i'm doing with them. Using an iPad would make me have to watch another screen (while i'm announcing the first dance on a wedding-party for example).
recent pictures > http://imgur.com/a/Apw5b

Notice the round (all macro's) colored buttons.
First left round butting is set for first dance, first green upper button let's all my lights strobe. Works great! Tested it last saturday.

@AmpdEntmt: I gave back my Martin M-Touch a few weeks ago. Another company who offers here own affordable usb midi controller. Thought that would be the solution. Until i tried to start working with their software... So complicated, not intuitive at all, so i gave up and was happy to find the AKAI APCmini on this forum. And love the intuitive software.
But yes, all this third party midi controller stuff....and hassle.
Where's the barrier for Chauvet to make their own. It's only cheap plastic finally, see the low price of the AKAI APC mini.

Now the second APCmini is on my set-up (see picture in link), waiting to work (big maybe) or being changed for a Novation next week. Pity, because no faders on the novation...
Last edited by Bonifacedj on 19 March 2016, 00:45, edited 3 times in total.
Bonifacedj

Postby Earl Harvey » 18 March 2016, 23:56

Yes, I am formost a soundman and I do lighting...
Earl Harvey

Postby Bonifacedj » 19 March 2016, 00:20

@Earl: Ah, like me then, also formost a soundman.
Gave it another thought using an iPad pro.
But then two issues come up:
1) gone is my fysical square drum / Man BPM button on the AKAI and the AKAI itself, since the iPad control's everything.
2) A Microsoft surface runs showXpress.

But wait a minute, i don't have a clear picture of your setup yet in think.
You are running ShowXpress on a Mac and use the MIDI Designer app (Youtube announcement)
on your iPad instead of a physical midi controller?
Bonifacedj

Postby Bonifacedj » 19 March 2016, 00:34

Earl Harvey wrote:... I love that app!
There are a lot of different controllers you can use with the app including X-Y controllers.
you also have to create ports w MIDI Loop so you can merge with a virtual router

And this makes me wonder / think too.
As a matter of fact i have everything what i need with one AKAI APC mini. Made enough macro buttons (16) and used the faders for all my dimmers.

Bought a second APC mini for acces to the "buttons #2" page in sweetlight, but mostly for having more faders so i could use the X-Y position's from my 8 scanners (two more moving heads planned) manually.
But one extra APC mini isn't enough for all that. So more were in mind.

But i could control the X-Y from al my moving fixtures on an iPad with the app you love so much.
hmm...
- ShowXpress on Apple-laptop,
- 1 APC mini usb-connected to the laptop.
- One wireless iPad for X-Y....
Possible combination?
Bonifacedj

Postby Earl Harvey » 19 March 2016, 01:34

you can use both the iPad and the APC at the same time...
I've also been eyeing the Korg Nano Wireless bluetooth controller but it only has 8 faders and 32 toggle/Momentary buttons
Earl Harvey

PreviousNext

Return to Midi