second AKAI APC mini [fixed]

live control with midi devices

Re: second AKAI APC mini

Postby Bonifacedj » 12 August 2016, 20:15

@Niffo: I was thinking in that direction too.
Thinking of using my launchpad MK2 as a sampler with traktorDJ instead of virtualDJ i was looking for a traktor .tsi file and the one for the previous launchpad didn't work. So i wrote an email tot 'trakpad' en got this reply:

On 9 aug. 2016, at 02:47 TrakPad <admin@traktorlaunchpad.com> wrote:

Hi Boni,

...unfortunately we haven't remapped it for the MK2 yet. Novation completely changed the MIDI signals between the first generation launchpad and the MK2. I hope to do it, but I'm not too sure how soon.

Best,
Nathan
TrakPad Developer

--------------------------------------

- But i have tried my launchpad MK2 with version 7 earlier without my APC mini en that worked fine.
So is it V8 which doesn't communicate with the launchpad MK2?
Bonifacedj

Postby Bonifacedj » 13 August 2016, 04:51

found it!
I was using a powered seven port usb2 hub. Took it away, APC mini and launchpad MK2 directly in mijn Macbook air and worked...
Then both midi controller back in the usb hub. Worked for three minutes and then the launchpad MK2 didn't react anymore, didn't matter which usb ports i tried,tried them all. Every time same story: The APC mini kept on working as alway's but not the launchpad MK2.

Seems this powered usb2 hub is not giving enough power for the launchpad MK2. Didn't try the usb hub with the launchpad only.
I will buy a new usb3 hub and do some more test.

thanks for the support!
Bonifacedj

Postby support » 13 August 2016, 09:09

Thank you also for your feedback.
We will add the message somewhere in the forum "if you have a usb hub, please try without it".
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Bonifacedj » 13 August 2016, 11:14

support wrote:Thank you also for your feedback.

My pleasure.

Want to share a last thought about a powered usb hub, since i'm still confused how this issue is possible.
Bought this usb hub new last year: http://www.trust.com/nl/product/15140-p ... sb-2-0-hub

Alway's worked and works with my APC mini and D512 DMX interface which i checked in all the usb hub ports. No problem with the hub.
And now with the launchpad MK added as third usb device this seemingly power issue.
Don't get it yet.

And something similar seemingly power-related issue happened today when testing working with two midi controllers for the first time in this situation:
APC mini and D512 DMX interface as usual plugged in the usb hub and connected to one of the two ports on my Macbook air. In the remaining usb port from the Macbook air i've put the launchpad MK2 directly.

Then i created a new "button board" in sweetlight named 'launchpad'. So i have two button board's now. One named 'APC mini' and the other 'launchpad'.
In the launchpad board i added a macro button an triggered three existing scenes in the APC mini board. Interesting to see this work. I made also a midi button trigger from this macro button on one on the round knobs on the launchpad.
Worked fine, pushing the round button on the launpad made the button blink and activated the three scenes which made the three related buttons on the APC mini blink.

But...
After doing a few times, several minutes later the launchpad didn't react anymore like before when it was connected through the usb hub.
This is very strange. The launchpad is connected directly to the Macbook air and the same issue happened.

Is this power related as well?
Or am i maybe breaking the rules with two midi controllers which i don't know yet?
Like: "don't activate scenes with a second midi controller which are already dedicated to another midi controller or you get power issue's".
:?

I can't imagine there is some power issue with the launchpad MK2 itself since i've used it several day and nights as a music sampler with VirtualDJ. Never had any power issue's.

Well, next week i'm receiving my second APC mini.
I'll give feedback here how it works out when using two same midi controllers.
Hope i have no power issue's.
regards.
Bonifacedj

Postby Bonifacedj » 20 August 2016, 21:05

got my second APCmini today and while i thoroughly tested the power-issue with my launchpad MK2 at home and figured out it has for sure to be directly connected to the laptop or it lets sweetlight crash after an hour, what happened even connected through my caldigit-thunderbolt-station (see http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/ios-ma ... w-3499569/ ) i'm struggling now with my second APCmini in another way :-(

My second APCmini has no power issue, but 'takes over' the button triggers made on my first APCmini, while all the buttons on my first APCmini are lit, but don't respond.
i didn't connect my launchpad in trying to fix this (see attachment).

There seems to be a 'identity confusion' when APCmini 2 takes over APCmini 1 functions and APC mini doesn't respond.
How to fix this?
Bonifacedj

Postby BartKrap » 20 August 2016, 21:25

Bonifacedj wrote:got my second APCmini today and while i thoroughly tested the power-issue with my launchpad MK2 at home and figured out it has for sure to be directly connected to the laptop or it lets sweetlight crash after an hour, what happened even connected through my caldigit-thunderbolt-station (see http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/ios-ma ... w-3499569/ ) i'm struggling now with my second APCmini in another way :-(

My second APCmini has no power issue, but 'takes over' the button triggers made on my first APCmini, while all the buttons on my first APCmini are lit, but don't respond.
i didn't connect my launchpad in trying to fix this (see attachment).

There seems to be a 'identity confusion' when APCmini 2 takes over APCmini 1 functions and APC mini doesn't respond.
How to fix this?

Try changeing the "midi out" around.
Head of lighting, lighting designer and lighting operater at De Zoom and Pinky's in Renesse and Ron van der Veen Entertainment.
BartKrap

Postby Bonifacedj » 20 August 2016, 21:49

Yo Bart, thanks for responding.
But what do you mean exactly?
Do you want me to throw out both mini's and add the second one first?
Bonifacedj

Postby Bonifacedj » 21 August 2016, 10:43

After ours of non-stop experimenting i got it working, twoo APCmini's and one Launchpad MK2. :-)

I'm stuck with only one more thing now: Assigning all the faders on my second APCmini.
Managed tot assign the faders as a Midi shortcut to Master Dimmer, peace of cake.
But i can't patch the MIDI input, The "input / learn" button doesn't learn anything else then ch. 1, which is my first APCmini.
Is there a way around?

If it is not possible to assign the faders on a second APCmini, except for master dimmers, two APCmini's are rather useless.
i bought a second one for having more faders :(
Hope there is a way to patch the MIDI input from this second APCmini.
Attachments
V8 patch for DMX and midi.jpg
V8 patch for DMX and midi.jpg (71.87 KiB) Viewed 16373 times
Bonifacedj

Postby BartHornesch » 21 August 2016, 18:07

Have you tried the learn button and then changing either the device or the midi channel depending on how you have set it all up?
BartHornesch

Postby Bonifacedj » 22 August 2016, 03:07

@BartHornesch: i've tried that.
As far as i can figure out now, there is no way to use the learn button and then changing either the device or the midi channel.
How would you try it?
Bonifacedj

PreviousNext

Return to Midi