second AKAI APC mini [fixed]

live control with midi devices

second AKAI APC mini [fixed]

Postby Bonifacedj » 11 March 2016, 22:01

Received a second AKAI APC mini today (not a novation as first planned), but now i'm confused... :?
Can't get the them both to work since no separate names show up (or i did something else wrong). See
screenshot 1 in Midpipe and screenshot 2 in showexpress.

How do i deal with this, should this work as well with same type midi controllers?
thx in advance.
Bonifacedj

Re: second AKAI APC mini

Postby support » 11 March 2016, 22:25

You need a virtual midi router.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Bonifacedj » 12 March 2016, 01:31

@support: i made a virtual midi router. Like explained in step 3 a) "Create a Virtual Midi Input and Output...". in topic viewtopic.php?f=76&t=4169

Did i miss something in Step 3? I'll try it again tomorrow.
Bonifacedj

Postby Bonifacedj » 14 March 2016, 22:45

support wrote:You need a virtual midi router.

Can you please give me more details about your advice.
I've been trying for 6 ours now to let my two Akai APC mini's work at the same time. Doesn't work. :(

i've been studying the topic "A Guide to Multiple MIDI Devices (Mac OS with Midi Pipe)" over and over, printed it out, tried connecting my APC mini's one by one, checked usb ports on my MBP, checked cables of the APC mini's, i don't know what to do anymore.

I also read this again from you again:
support wrote:Yes, if Buttons#1 and Buttons#2 show different pages.
No, if the same page is in both Buttons#1 and Buttons#2.
The reason is a button can be linked to only one midi message.

source: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=3621&p=14418&hilit=using+midipipe#p14418

But that was your answer on my question:
"Is it possible to use a AKAI APC MINI, which i already have, with Buttons #1 and a Novation Launchpad Mini MK2 (which i should by if it works) with Buttons #2 in Sweetlight at the same time?".

But now i have two same controllers...
I almost regret not buying an novation controller (first planned) as second controller. At least i could see the different names of controllers to select. I think that's the problem, have no other idea.

Should two same midi controllers like these AKAI APC mini really work, can anybody confirm this?

ps: i would love to work with 4 or 6 APC mini's (need more faders for moving fictures), so i'm desperate to find out what's going wrong.
Bonifacedj

Postby support » 15 March 2016, 09:01

In the midi preferences of our software, we have to see the virtual midi router (not the midi device).
In the virtual midi router, you have to declare two inputs (one for each midi device), and one output (for our software).
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Bonifacedj » 15 March 2016, 13:51

@Support: you mean this:

Sorry, didn't get that far the first time, my mistake somewhere.
Meantime i did it a dozen times. So i am able tot create the virtual midi router. :P

But still, it doesn't work how it should: my two APC mini's act like one and not like two separate controllers. They are in a way synchronized.
Last edited by Bonifacedj on 15 March 2016, 14:03, edited 1 time in total.
Bonifacedj

Postby Bonifacedj » 15 March 2016, 14:00

support wrote:In the virtual midi router, you have to declare two inputs (one for each midi device)

For now this is impossible, since i have two the SAME midi APCmini devices who show op like one device.

So again my question which nobody seems to be able to confirm: Can i use two same midi devices as two separate controllers or do i have to buy another brand like the novation as second midi device?

- My goal was / is to have more faders, which the novation doesn't have, that's why i bought a second APCmini, but again, they don't show up as separate devices to select. See my screenshot link.

So i assume i have to let go the idea of more faders, which the APCmini has, and buy a novation as second midi device to be able to select it because it has another name. Can somebody confirm this please.

thanks in advance.
Bonifacedj

Postby AmpdEntmt » 15 March 2016, 14:13

So again my question which nobody seems to be able to confirm: Can i use two same midi devices as two separate controllers or do i have to buy another brand like the novation as second midi device?

@Bonifacedj I believe the answer to your question is the midi devices must have different names. I was unaware of this issue because i have always used a mixture of midi controllers. I can PM you my email address for any future problems if you'd like.
AmpdEntmt

Postby Bonifacedj » 15 March 2016, 16:20

AmpdEntmt wrote:@Bonifacedj I believe the answer to your question is the midi devices must have different names.

Thanks Matthew.
I've been googling meanwhile on "how the change the name of Akai APCmini". Didn't find anything (yet).

AmpdEntmt wrote:
I was unaware of this issue because i have always used a mixture of midi controllers.

Struggling with this second Akai APC mini issue controller now and my experience on 5 gig's using my single Akai APC mini with showXpress, i became more aware about what i need:
- more color-button's.
- more faders

I still can change this second AKAI APC mini for a novation Launchpad. Watching that > https://us.novationmusic.com/which-launchpad i realized that the middle sized Launchpad has RGB 64,000 colors, wchich the launchpad mini and AKAI APC mini do not have.

So the middle-sized novation launchpad with it's RGB colors would be great, but i need more faders also. I've got the 9 faders on my APC mini dedicated to the dimmers of my fixtures.

- Found a 'Livid Instruments Fader Box' on the internet.

This way i should have three different devices (with each their own name MidiPipe):
1) Novation Launchpad RGB 64,000 colors
2) AKAI APC mini
3) Livid Instruments Fader Box

The Akai en Novation do work in MidiPipe.
Should a fader box work as third device work in MidiPipe and ShowXpress?

PS: yes please, PM me your email address, i'd would like that. :)
Bonifacedj

Postby AmpdEntmt » 18 March 2016, 16:45

Struggling with this second Akai APC mini issue controller now and my experience on 5 gig's using my single Akai APC mini with showXpress, i became more aware about what i need:
- more color-button's.
- more faders

I couldn't agree with this statement more, I find myself having the exact same issues. 64 buttons, a bunch of knobs, and the 8 faders i currently have just aren't enough. I came across this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lD1rL-ions recently, and am considering making one because it has almost everything in 'one' controller. Only thing holding me back is the lack of RGB buttons, and the LED feedback for AKAI's knobs has issues.

I still can change this second AKAI APC mini for a novation Launchpad.

I HIGHLY recommend the new Novation Launchpad, my older version has never skipped a beat despite having wine and beer spilt on it during events, dirt and dust all over it, and being thrown in a road case with a bunch other gear between shows. They're virtually indestructible, and the LED's are nice and bright. The RGB button colours are also great for programming colour scenes.

I see you've also been getting lots of help in your other post with the Midipipe same name problem, but still feel free to emil me. I have PM'd you my email address.
AmpdEntmt

Next

Return to Midi