APC40 MK2 Getting Knob Lights to Work

live control with midi devices

APC40 MK2 Getting Knob Lights to Work

Postby djeklipse » 02 February 2016, 13:20

I recently purchased an APC40 MK2 and am having issues getting the lights around the twist knobs to light up. For the APC 40 MK2 in order to get the lights to stay lit up you have to plug it in, open up the Ableton software, close Ableton, and then open up ShowXpress. Afterwards the MIDI inputs and outputs work perfectly for the buttons, but I can't get the lights around the knobs to light up. I have the MIDI input and output set to control and the knobs work for controlling things like speed sliders but the knobs don't light up. Anyone figured out a way to get the lights around the knobs to work?
djeklipse

Re: APC40 MK2 Getting Knob Lights to Work

Postby AmpdEntmt » 08 February 2016, 22:34

Support is aware of issues with the APC products and LED knob feedback.

I did some digging of my own, and I believe I found the solution to the problem. (Although I do not have an APC controller to test it with.)

Reading through the APC's programming guide, in order for the knobs to know how to respond to midi feedback messages, you must tell each knob how you want it to act. Ex: If you want the led's to light up progressively from left to right like a volume knob, or if you want it to act like a pan button where the led indicates which side the sound is panned to.

In the programming guide it states where to send this midid message to, and what the message should say in it for assigning each knob's type. ShowXpress is not able to do this, so you'll have to send it through some kind of virtual midi software. Once you tell the knobs how you want them to act, they will interpret the messages showXpress is sending out to the controller correctly, and thus provide you with the led feedback you are looking for.

That's my theory according to the programming manual.. hopefully it's correct :D
AmpdEntmt

Return to Midi