Request: Multiple MIDI IAC Drivers as input

live control with midi devices

Request: Multiple MIDI IAC Drivers as input

Postby ryvanz » 16 September 2015, 01:03

Hey Developers!

When programming shows in a sequencer, I've come to the conclusion that I'm limited to 16 channels worth of midi because we can only use a single MIDI source as input. And I'm getting close to maxing that out quickly, as I create a separate scene/button for every single articulation of every single fixture that I use. (I'm currently using 44 LED fixtures and 3 dimmers, and the rig is always expanding).

But what if we increase the number of MIDI IAC Drivers (Or external MIDI devices) that can be used? The amount of programming possibilities would be enormous. I'd suggest having at least 6 MIDI IAC/Device slots to choose from, and that they can be individually routed to each of the 6 possible DMX Universes.

Sounds cool, yeah? This is something that would give a great deal of expansion and I would really like to see it in the next version of the software.

What do you think?
ryvanz

Re: Request: Multiple MIDI IAC Drivers as input

Postby support » 16 September 2015, 08:32

You can input more than one midi source, using a virtual midi router.
You will find posts of people using virtual midi routers in this section.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby ryvanz » 17 September 2015, 02:00

Does that mean that I can use 32 channels worth of midi, instead of 16?
ryvanz

Postby Earl Harvey » 17 September 2015, 02:44

No...
That means you get 128 notes on each midi channel already... that equals 2048 notes... do you have over 2048 scenes?
Earl Harvey

Postby ryvanz » 17 September 2015, 06:18

Looks like I'm just shy of that number at 2046.

I'm programming lighting in a sequencer and every single articulation of every single light fixture has it's own scene. The reason I'm doing this is because I want to be able to have full control with midi and program everything directly from my sequencer. It's also perfectly synchronized with the music-something that I find is nearly impossible with traditional lighting methods. I use a separate CC control for every single dimmer (including colours) in my rig. This light show will run automatically from cubase. Some of these 2046 scenes are defunct 'test' scenes, but with 44 pieces of lighting gear and an exclusive scene for each articulation of each fixture, I'm sure it's easy to understand how quickly one might run out of space.

So I think that it would be awesome to be able to utilize multiple midi IAC/device drivers. It would really help out us folks who want to have a laptop run an extensive light show automatically.

Ryan
ryvanz

Return to Midi