What MIDI controller do you recommend/use?

live control with midi devices

Re: What MIDI controller do you recommend/use?

Postby zkflow » 28 October 2014, 20:53

nice feedback!! thank you!!!!
i'm thinking of a new idea for showxpress. NATIVE SUPPORT FOR MIDI CONTROLLERS... or some auto-mapping function...
zkflow

Postby drphoto » 17 December 2014, 02:48

Hey gang, I've been away for awhile, which is good because it means I've not been having problems.

Zkflow, not sure what you mean. Xpress supports MIDI beautifully. Mapping MIDI is a breeze actually.

I wish it supported DMX inputs. Because you can get big multichannel DMX consoles for not much money. I've whined about this ad nauseum. The software shows support for DMX in, but it is only for an interface that is no longer made by Chauvet. So it basically does not exist. And from what I gather, the software people believe MIDI is the only way to go, so it won't get upgraded.

I've adapted to using the Novation push button MIDI controller for most of my scenes and thanks to MIDI Pipe software using the faders on my APC-20 to control a few functions like front spots and a few basic washes.

If I wanted to have a mulit channel MIDI console with faders I would either spend a fortune or have build my own, which would still not be cheap.

I don't love controlling a show with a push button interface, but I can live with it.

I do wish one could set the fade in/fade out functions on buttons to be faster that 0.5 sec. Needs to be more about 0.25 sec.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the purchase of this software. Every product sold has it's strengths and weaknesses. Few are perfect. For me, this runs on a Mac, is stable, is fairly easy to use and has some very robust features. I've a learned to live with it's limitations.

cheers,

PS will try to post some stills or a vid clip from big show we have upcoming.
drphoto

Postby zkflow » 18 December 2014, 02:36

drphoto wrote:Zkflow, not sure what you mean. Xpress supports MIDI beautifully. Mapping MIDI is a breeze actually.

Support its great... also you can control showxpress using a box like this
ASDF.jpg

BUT for example... connect any controller with faders. And then, Showxpress automaticatly assign the first 4 faders from the device to the MASTER FADERS...
zkflow

Previous

Return to Midi