What MIDI controller do you recommend/use?

live control with midi devices

What MIDI controller do you recommend/use?

Postby zkflow » 22 August 2014, 00:53

Usually i see al ot of people use MIDI controllers NOT for lighting... i saw a Controller called MIDICON... looks great.. but what do you preffer?
zkflow

Re: What MIDI controller do you recommend/use?

Postby Earl Harvey » 22 August 2014, 16:36

I recommend NOT choosing the Akai APC 20 or 40...
The Clip Launch buttons are Momentary instead of Toggle MIDI triggering and non configurable...
Lately I'm using Novation controllers or the iPad..
New stuff coming out everyday though... 8-)
Earl Harvey

Postby zkflow » 22 August 2014, 17:35

yeah... if the guys at novation, behringer, or m-audio launches a MIDI for LIGHTING... that would be great...!!! nowadays i'm testing TOUCH OSC, but im to lazy to program EVERYTHING in the editor, and then assign MIDI controls... actually i use a lot of stuff in my lightshows... so its very annoying sometimes ...
zkflow

Postby djo » 30 August 2014, 16:20

I search a midi controller to use with LIVE. Have you a suggested products ?
djo

Postby drphoto » 09 September 2014, 01:58

There is a company called Livid Instruments. They sell parts to build your own MIDI controllers. I was thinking about building a console with 32 slide faders. Parts would run about $500 USD. Adding buttons for a flash on each channel would probably cost $100. This doesn't include cost for a case, but does include the faceplates

lividinstruments.com

I've seen a commercially made MIDI console with 24 faders, but it was $3000 USD (don't remember name)
drphoto

Postby drphoto » 09 September 2014, 06:01

BTW, I did buy an Akai APC-20 early on. This was before I saw Earls post. While it is a very well made unit, you can't remap the buttons to light up when a scene is active. So in a Live event, it's easy to lose track of which scene is playing.
drphoto

Postby Earl Harvey » 09 September 2014, 13:21

I'll have to say the most impressive MIDI controller I've seen yet is the Linnstrument...
http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/linnstrument.html

Although it doesn't have faders the combination of it with a Livid mapped thru a MIDI router could probably put man back on the moon faster than a Russian rocket! :lol:

lately I use an iPad with a MIDI Designer for XY and Faders combined w/ Novation Launchpad Mini... its economical and works fantastic!
Earl Harvey

Postby drphoto » 10 September 2014, 05:56

Going to try a Novation Launchpad S soon. Hopefully with the MIDI out function enabling it to light up the buttons, I can keep track of what scenes are active. I like faders because you not only get a visual reference, you get one that is tactile. Plus, I'm old school, I learned lighting on analog consoles with physical faders.

It did occur to me that I could assemble a cheap multi channel fader controller by using MIDI Pipe and a bunch of Korg Nanos. But I'm not loving the little wimpy faders on those. ( I do love the ones on the APC units)

While I know I sound like I'm complaining again, it's too bad the software doesn't support universal DMX input. You can get big multichannel DMX dimmer consoles really cheap compared to MIDI.
drphoto

Postby drphoto » 10 September 2014, 07:02

Earl, do you have any video clips to show us of your work? Love to see what people are doing. I'm going to try and post one of mine soon.
drphoto

Postby Earl Harvey » 10 September 2014, 09:34

Ya might check out a novation launch control
http://us.novationmusic.com/midi-contro ... control-xl

although it only has 8 non motorized 100mm faders

got some gigs coming up that involves full light rig I might can shoot something...
Earl Harvey

Next

Return to Midi