Hot swapping MIDI controllers

live control with midi devices

Hot swapping MIDI controllers

Postby Pholladay » 29 June 2014, 22:08

Will version 7 support switching of MIDI control devices without restarting the entire application? I use ShowXPress in a club where bands play and there is DJ dance floor lighting. I do lights for the band from the soundboard via a Launchpad Mini (thanks for the MIDI out support...much easier to see what I'm doing), and the guy doing the DJ lighting uses a different MIDI controller for controlling lasers and such, but now in order for us both to do that we have to shut the system down and reopen to switch controllers. Totally sucks to have total blackness in a packed club, even if it's only 15-20 seconds. Didn't have to do that in v6, but no MIDI out in v6 so I'm kinda stuck. I would just upload scenes into the DMX512s that control 2 universes so it wouldn't be blackness on shutdown, but I'm having trouble uploading for both universes in standalone mode, and even when I can get one universe uploaded it only works 1/4 of the time.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Pholladay

Re: Hot swapping MIDI controllers

Postby Earl Harvey » 30 June 2014, 01:51

Add a Virtual MIDI router... You can find one for free like MIDI OX or somthing like it...with it you can merge multiple midi controllers into SX and use them at the same time
I usually try to boot my computer up with my Launchpad already connected before opening the software... but have had a few tiffs with SX remembering the MIDI out Device...
Earl Harvey

Re: Hot swapping MIDI controllers

Postby toddlarboy » 08 August 2014, 13:29

Earl - great tip. Thanks
toddlarboy

Return to Midi