Step On Pulse

post here general topics for software

Step On Pulse

Postby charlj » 15 October 2019, 06:30

Hello,

I want to design light shows with various steps that can move to the pulse of the music. I have tried syncing the light show by using the beat info transferred from Virtual DJ but this is super disappointing. The lights is always out of sync, I found DasLight4, with this software I can sync the light show to the pulse of the music. So every time DasLight4 detects a pulse it moves on to the next step allowing the user to for example create a perfectly synced strobe using standard RGB ParCans. I send the music from Virtual DJ directly to DasLight4 with the use of SoundFlower, this method is seamless and the lights is in perfect sync to the music. Is there any way that I can do the same using ShowXpress instead of DasLight4 as DasLight 4 is quite buggy and not as user friendly as ShowXpress.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Charl
Last edited by charlj on 15 October 2019, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
Mainline Productions

Charl Jooste | Founder & CEO
p: (082) 902-1514
w: charljooste.wixsite.com/mainlineproductions
e: charl@mainlineprod.co.za
charlj

Re: Step On Pulse

Postby support » 15 October 2019, 07:05

I have tried syncing the light show by using the beat info transferred from Virtual DJ but this is super disappointing. The lights is always out of sync

In all our tests, the Beat from VDJ was very accurate.
There is certainly another problem somewhere.
FYI, the Beat in this video is quite good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC4bA3Ioy-g
Could you please post a video showing the beat in your lightshow ?
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby charlj » 15 October 2019, 12:11

Hello Support,

I have created a scene in both DasLight4 and ShowXpress. I made use of 8 Chauvet SlimPar 64's in 3 channel mode. I created a scene with 6 steps each 1 second long. In both applications I made use of rapid channel value changes instead of fading changes. By playing Dance Monkey by Tones and I in Virtual DJ I made use of SoundFlower to send the audio output to DasLight 4 and made use of the integrated os2l to send the beat information to ShowXpress. I started both scenes prior to starting the song. On the left side of the video you see the scene played on DasLight 4 and on the right side the scene played on ShowXpress. I want to have my ShowXpress scenes react in the same way the DasLight4 scenes reacts to the sound. I want my lights to change when a certain pulse is detected by the lighting software and not on a steady beat like ShowXpress does. You can watch the video at https://youtu.be/2sL10Lnv8QI

Regards

Charl
Mainline Productions

charlj

Postby support » 15 October 2019, 13:57

The VDJ beat is obviously steady.
The is no function in our software to trigger the steps via only some beats, which looks like a "random beat trigger" effect.
We suggest you to set the beat slider (in the window "Speed properties") to for instance 4/1. Then you steps will forwards every 4 beats. The result will be closer to the requested effect.

We note that an additional option "random trigger for beat" may be a good idea.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby charlj » 15 October 2019, 15:29

Hello Support,

The trigger must not be aimed at being random but rather at certain events, such as being triggered by a spike in the song. In other words when the music is playing and there is a normal level of bass the scene moves on the rhythm of the bass, but when there is like a beat drop the and the tempo of the music increases there is certain spikes in the volume of the music. A much easier way of describing it is by imagining the level meter on your mixer as a song is playing, at some points the meter is indicating a lower reading but at for example the bass drop the level rises, a pulse is points in the song where the level goes beyond the average level of the song being played or goes beyond the level of the previous beat. If you could incorporate a feature that allows The Lightning Controller to skip onto the next step of the scene based on the pulse it detects from the audio input, into a future update, ShowXpress will become more applicable to mobile DJ's as well.

Regards

Charl
Mainline Productions

charlj

Postby support » 15 October 2019, 15:37

Well noted.
FYI, there is an "audio input to beat" function in the Windows version of our software.
We do not promote it and we did not add this function on MacOS, because the users were complainig it was not steady.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to General software