Request - Ableton Link

post here general topics for software

Request - Ableton Link

Postby Paishanu » 15 April 2020, 12:04

Hi everyone, I want to ask if it would be possible to implement the Ableton Link in the program in order to synchronize the BPM of our lighting with the BPM of our dj programs.

Recently, Ableton has made Link open source ( https://github.com/Ableton/link ) and there are already many sofwares that use it such as Serato DJ or Rekordbox DJ 6, which would greatly facilitate having our shows well synchronized.

Yesterday with the launch of the new RekordboxDJ 6 I have seen that Rekordbox already uses Link and I have started to investigate how to synchronize the QuickDMX BPM with Rekordbox BPM and I have achieved it through a "translator" of Link to Midi, which generates a MIDI clock, but its a mess to configure it, since you have to use an iPhone to install the MIDI Link Sync app, configure the MacOS MIDI options and if everything goes well, it works.

If you could implement it in the program, it would only be to activate LINK in The Lightning Controller & Rekordbox (Serato also) and everything would be ready, without doing anything else.

I imagine that there will be many DJs using Serato or RekordboxDJ and that we dream of a function like this, so, will see what response there is in the users of the forum and it is possible that it is one of the new functions to include.

Thank you very much for your great work!

Paishanu
Paishanu

Re: Request - Ableton Link

Postby support » 16 April 2020, 09:35

Thank you for this report.
Yes, we are interested to add in our software the sync ability with these DJ mixing software's.

Would it be possible to tell us more ?
(sorry our knowledge in the DJ mixing word is very limited)
Any links to videos, PDF's, tutorials, ... would be welcome.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Paishanu » 16 April 2020, 09:56

Good morning thank you very much for the quick response, I am very happy to read that you are interested in adding this function to the program.

I pass you a link to the Ableton FAQ where they explain what Ableton Link is and in which there is a demonstration video, I hope it helps you understand what it is and how to add it.

As you can see in the video, it is not only a function of DJ programs but also of music production and to synchronize hardware synthesizers and other devices that can operate on the basis of BPMs.

Once again, thank you very much for your development!

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ns-and-FAQ

Greetings, Paishanu
Paishanu

Postby support » 11 May 2020, 17:35

Our opinion for now is:
- the goal is an easy solution for communication between our software and the DJ mixing software
- Ableton is not a DJ mixing software
- we think that DJ mixing software users will not agree to use a third software just to to allow this communication
So it looks this is not really what we are looking for.

For DJ mixing software users (other than Virtual DJ), please tell us your mind.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Paishanu » 11 May 2020, 18:16

Good afternoon, as far as I know, it is not necessary to use Ableton Live to be able to use its synchronization system between Rekordbox DJ and QuickDMX.

Only 2 systems that use LINK are needed, it can be a DJ program and a synthesizer, it can be Ableton Live and a DJ program or what interests us, a DJ program and a lighting program, the important thing is that there are 2 systems using Ableton LINK.

If someone on the forum knows if I'm not right, it would be good if you answered this post.

Cheers, Paishanu
Paishanu

Postby sebfrombrest » 30 May 2020, 05:21

Bonjour en réponse pour le support. Je pense que plusieurs personne ici travaille avec des logiciels comme serato, rekordbox pour ma part et Traktor.
Le problème de virtual dj est qui garde l'aspect "amateur" alors qu'il s'est amélioré.

Donc oui pour la passerelle des BPM vers d'autres logiciel.

Merci pour votre travail.
sebfrombrest

Postby osuarez » 30 October 2021, 14:03

I was wondering if support has reconsidered adding Ableton Link to the software? With the addition and popularity of stand alone controllers it would be great to use this protocol to communicate between the controller and the software. Especially when a stand alone is used as a backup system so that there is loss of use of the light show.
osuarez

Postby support » 01 November 2021, 15:47

It looks like there is still no other lighter solution :-(, so we will certainly have to go for that.
So this is noted.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby osuarez » 01 November 2021, 21:27

Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing it added to the software!
osuarez

Postby osuarez » 13 November 2022, 14:29

I was wondering if support had any update on this request? It has been a year and now that standalone controllers continue to build momentum having this software keep pace is important….
osuarez

Next

Return to General software