Home Position and Global Offset

create pages with buttons to trigger scenes

Home Position and Global Offset

Postby muscanto » 11 February 2019, 23:35

Two feature requests that would be wonderful:

1. Ability to set a home position on moving fixtures. As soon as the software starts up this is where the fixture goes to in position. I'm currently using a button to do this that auto starts but it has drawbacks, like constantly getting added to my Macro's by accident and having to turn the button off when doing anything with Macro's affecting how I see interaction between scenes. I've requested a macro exception feature in a separate post which would be another work around.

2. The ability to offset pan/tilt on a global level for moving fixtures. Basically the new feature that you have in the generator, except also have that as a global option for each fixture. If I have two different types of fixtures and I want the position point to be the same I can offset one of them to match the other so every time I create a steps or generator scene, the fixtures would be at the same starting point.

Thanks.
muscanto

Re: Home Position and Global Offset

Postby muscanto » 17 February 2019, 18:26

Just to add to this, the global offset would be useful for calibrating fixtures that don't line up to the same exact position despite being the same brand/model fixture.
muscanto

Postby DeeStage » 07 March 2019, 18:25

+1

maybe in the Fixture Patch window

by incresing / decreasing Pan/Tilt manually with a constant value for callibration
DeeStage

Postby muscanto » 07 March 2019, 18:48

Just an update - the Macro exception feature that was recently added resolved my home button problem.

There should still be a way to calibrate and set home positions on moving fixtures. This is fairly standard in consoles and other software platforms.

Also, when you are at different venue's and stages, having the ability to fine adjust your show on a global level would be huge.
muscanto

Postby SeekLighting » 08 March 2019, 09:58

You can really easily set a home position by making a steps scene with your home position, adding it as a button, then making it "always on", "macro button exception", "release all buttons exception".
SeekLighting

Postby muscanto » 08 March 2019, 15:16

TimH wrote:You can really easily set a home position by making a steps scene with your home position, adding it as a button, then making it "always on", "macro button exception", "release all buttons exception".

Tim, I already do this as I indicated above in this thread. The request still remains though as I should not need a button to accomplish what is done natively in other programs. The global offset request; though, is of higher priority.
muscanto

Postby DeeStage » 09 March 2019, 00:00

Sure, I can create a scene with my home position...

But when I start symmetric Pan/Tilt generator project, sometimes it happens that the beams are not 100% symmetric.

There are 2 ways to fix it:

1. Climb in to each fixture and calibrate it by pressing some buttons in the menu
(I really hate that)

2. Callibrate the moving heads in Software by increasing or decreasing Pan/Tilt by a constant value

For instance I have 8 Beam moving heads showing to the front parallel.
But Movinghead 5 is not parallel to the others, it’s pointing a bit more left (2 values in Pan)
So it would be nice to give this fixture +2 in Pan so all generator projects will be symmetric
DeeStage

Postby buddukes » 09 March 2019, 08:44

I have an interesting situation where some of my fixtures pan up to 630 degrees. If I set them to Pan Reverse, the home position shifts by 90 degrees. I end up having to compensate thereafter in almost all that I do and it totally throws the 3D viewer off and makes it useless for these fixtures. A global offset at a fixture level would be a HUGE help in resolving this.
buddukes

Postby livetechproductions » 11 March 2019, 15:03

I have that exact same problem with 630 degrees pan fixture. The 3D viewer shift the head in regards to the base with 45 degrees (I do think that normally heads are always defaulting to 0/90/180 degrees in regards to the base and not in between). Totally unworkable and I think it's an issue within the calculations or something. Mirroring effects are not possible and you can't program movements and positions using 3D viewer only.
If you set back to 540 it shift correctly again but without the ability to control the full 630 range.

I've opened a topic about this (https://thelightingcontroller.com/viewt ... =13&t=6154) but so far no solution found for this.
livetechproductions

Postby muscanto » 11 March 2019, 15:05

DeeStage wrote:Sure, I can create a scene with my home position...

But when I start symmetric Pan/Tilt generator project, sometimes it happens that the beams are not 100% symmetric.

There are 2 ways to fix it:

1. Climb in to each fixture and calibrate it by pressing some buttons in the menu
(I really hate that)

2. Callibrate the moving heads in Software by increasing or decreasing Pan/Tilt by a constant value

For instance I have 8 Beam moving heads showing to the front parallel.
But Movinghead 5 is not parallel to the others, it’s pointing a bit more left (2 values in Pan)
So it would be nice to give this fixture +2 in Pan so all generator projects will be symmetric

EXACTLY! Often times, I'll have fixtures flown up in the air and unreachable without a lift. There are times when you need to calibrate position from FOH control.

I just figure this screen would also be a great place to put a home position feature for showxpress to tell the fixture what position to be in at all times unless it's overridden by a button in live mode or edit mode. (LPT)

Hoping Support will weigh in on this.
muscanto

Next

Return to Live - Buttons