request - live button pages override anything on other pages

create pages with buttons to trigger scenes

request - live button pages override anything on other pages

Postby Matt26 » 22 November 2018, 21:36

I have in the past wanted to override some buttons that had time triggers, but could not find an elegant way to do it. I ended up making some macros that chased each other, and would re-take the control every second, which in turn overrode the time triggered buttons, but it seems like a hack. It has a few disadvantages.

So, I am still trying to find a better way to do this. Could we have an option where, if I make a new page, I can have buttons on that page that will run and ignore the buttons on the other page which have time triggers, so that the time triggered buttons will never initiate as long as I am on this new other page?

In other words, I want to keep my time triggered buttons, but I don't want them to ALWAYS operate: in specific situations, I want to use the system another way, that does not have any time triggers. If I could just switch to a different page that does not have the time triggered buttons on it, that would not let the time triggered buttons operate? Right now there does not seem to be a way to tell the system to stop the time triggered buttons from initiating when their time comes up. It is still as if having a time trigger makes a button a super priority. I only want that sometimes, but not other times.

Please? I am wanting to install ShowExpress in lots of these venues (trampoline parks) because it is still the easiest most flexible of the laptop-based controllers. This has been a sticking point for me.
Matt26

Re: REQUEST-live button pages override anything on other pag

Postby support » 23 November 2018, 20:59

We have understood that this could bring good sales, but we unfortunately do not have the company structure to make customized developments for one customer only.
We are sorry for that.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Matt26 » 24 November 2018, 00:43

OK, let's take a poll. how many people would like something like this?
Matt26

Postby SeekLighting » 24 November 2018, 13:46

I'm all for adding more functionality to the software. I don't know the specific reasons why this can't be implemented, although mind you I couldn't fully understand exactly the ins and outs of what you're requesting. Essentially you want finer control over the priority settings of buttons and date/time triggers. Why not I say.

However, I think unfortunately Support has a point that what you're asking for is extremely specific. The team that programs this software is very small, and the majority of their time goes towards implementing solutions that please the majority of their customers. Unfortunately, the majority of the customers of this software are mobile DJs and beginner lighting tinkerers sadly.

I use the software for larger corporate, music concert, and theatrical productions so I too am in the minority. But as I said, in regards to your original point, you have a +1 from me, just for the sake of providing greater functionality to the software
SeekLighting

Postby Luc Henrion » 24 November 2018, 14:06

I was just going to create a new topic about a "blackout" button. But not exactly the standard blackout you find on most inexpensive consoles. A kind of "intelligent" blackout, and it could well be an answer to your own request.
Essentially, it would, in my mind, almost duplicate the features you find in the master faders (specify if active or not for each DMX channel), but of course, just with 2 values: on (all specified DMX channels on zero)/off ("inactive").
There could be a given number of those blackout buttons in the master section (up to 8, for example), like you can do with the master faders.
You could program a blackout for each page, for instance. Does it answer your request in some way?
Since it almost duplicates the current faders, that should not be a lot of programming work.
And in fact, the main reason I was going to ask for this is that, when you open the software, it could act like those inexpensive consoles: Automatic Blackout on start. Invaluable so that your show doesn't run immediately, at the risk of blowing some fuses !!!
Yes I know you can disable DMX at start, but it's not just the same...
Opinion?
Luc Henrion

Re: Request - live button pages override anything on other p

Postby Matt26 » 14 March 2021, 16:32

I have been making a hack to over-ride the time trigger on some of the live buttons in my standard programs for several trampoline parks that I have set up. What I have had to do, in order to NOT have the time-triggers active in SOME situations, is for those situations to use a set of Live buttons that chase each other at one second intervals, thus over-riding the time triggered buttons when they are activated ( at their given times).

In other words, the time-triggered button (in this situation, on a different page) would activate as always, at its assigned time (because this time or date trigger gives it a "super-priority"), but then the chasing other buttons would kill the time-activated button within one second, as they re-took control. Not the most elegant solution, kind of a "hack" really.

Couldn't we put some code in the program that, when a button has been set to time or date trigger, checks to see if that button is on the active page, and if it's not, ignore the trigger? That way, if I switch to a different page, I will not have unintended time triggers while I am on that new page.

If I want the time triggered button, I would now have to put it on whatever active page I am using in that situation, either directly or with a macro. Couldn't that work? Or maybe make that a choice at the time of making the time-triggered button. "Ignore trigger when on a different page"?

Right now, once you have made a time-or-date-tirggered button, you are stuck with that button activating at its assigned trigger, no matter what else you may want to do with the program. That is a limitation I am running up against. IF there is another way around this that I am missing, someone let me know. Thanks.
Matt26

Return to Live - Buttons