Driver prob. with Acer Iconia W510 Windows 8 tablet [fixed]

post here topics for Windows only

Driver prob. with Acer Iconia W510 Windows 8 tablet [fixed]

Postby Hecktique » 31 October 2013, 15:57

Hi there,

I've been doing pretty much all I can to get my D512 interface recognized as a DMX Universe on my Acer W510 tablet, running on Windows 8.1.
I installed the latest Drivers, even the Drivers-Test zip folder and either one of two problems just keep occurring:
If I install the drivers from the (non-beta) Drivers folder, I get the "driver not signed" message and windows doesn't install any driver at all.
After attempting this, the D512 remains an "other device" type, not even filed under the USB controllers section of the device mananger.
If I install the drivers from the Drivers-Test (beta) folder, (64bit Allan1), the D512 gets filed under the USB controllers section, but still with
a yellow sign and a message that the driver is possibly damaged. According to other topics in the forum, this beta version was actually only
intended to solve problems with USB3.0 ports, and it's a 64bit driver as well, while my tablet has the 32bit version of Windows 8.1.

So, having read you are already working on an all-new version of Sweetlight, will you please try to fix this?

Maybe worth mentioning: If i try to install the original driver under Windows7, I also get a "driver not signed" message, but at least Windows7
grants an "install anyway" option, and then it works fine. Windows8 however does NOT provide that option and simply refuses to install.

I'd be VERY happy if you can fix this, once again. I bought a tablet just to use Sweetlight with Touch Screen properties, the software itself
runs very smooth but the Driver problem ruins it all. Thanks in advance for your efforts.
Hecktique

Re: D512 Driver Problems under Windows 8.1

Postby support » 31 October 2013, 16:12

Please try the current driver: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=114
And replace the existing "efk.dll" file by this one: http://download.thelightingcontroller.c ... fk_usb.dll
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Hecktique » 31 October 2013, 18:37

No Luck there I'm afraid.
On attempting to install the driver (by manually searching it in my Program Files/Sweetlight/ directory) it mentions it finds the

D512 Interface 64bits (version 1.04)

Can not load driver into memory. Possibly the driver is damaged or missing (Code 39).

It does file the D512 under USB controllers in the device manager now, but like I wrote in the first question already: it still has a
yellow warning sign and it is not installed properly.
Hecktique

Postby Hecktique » 31 October 2013, 20:13

To put it as clearly as possible: apparently the 32 bit driver (the latest, under your drivers.zip folder) lacks the digital signature (according to my w8.1 tablet)
and the one that IS signed is only 64bit, I think there's a conflict with my OS being a 32 bit version.
Hecktique

Postby support » 01 November 2013, 15:37

The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Hecktique » 01 November 2013, 18:25

Sorry, but it's still not working.

I did a total uninstall of Sweetlight (including erasing ALL remaining files and registry entries),
installed it again, and the problem is still there. The D512_32bits_V104.inf file seems to be
(still the same) problem, my OS keeps messaging that the driver can not be installed because
it lacks the digital signature. W8.1 on my Iconia just doesn't accept that 32 bit driver, also
not the one from the driver_32bits_W8 folder you linked me to. I guess it looks like I really have
to wait for an all new 32bit D512 driver...
Hecktique

Postby support » 01 November 2013, 19:56

These revised drivers are signed.
You can check that with a right click on the files and the menu "Properties".
Attachments
drivers_32bits_W8.png
drivers_32bits_W8.png (32.54 KiB) Viewed 23268 times
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Hecktique » 04 November 2013, 15:01

I spent a few days figuring out this issue and well... It's not your fault.

There has apparently been a lot of consternation over this, the problem is that Windows 8 (and 8.1) are VERY
intolerant in driver policy, most specifically on tablets. The software might run fine, but connecting a D512 and
get it to work (on 32bit OS) is as good as impossible. There is no way (on tablets) to bypass the digital signature
check, not with advanced boot options, not even with the bcdedit command on the command prompt (run as
administrator). These settings are out of reach in the BIOS as well.

As far as your example with the EFKusb.sys is concerned: yes these files are digitally signed, but the problem
seems to be the D512_32bits_V104.inf setup file, which hasn't even got digital signature properties whatsoever.
At least they're nowhere to be found when right clicking it and selecting "properties".
The one thing that keeps puzzling me is that the 64bits (allan1) variety DID at least install the D512 as a USB
controller. Any chance there will be a 32 bit version of that one in the near future?

Thanks in advance!
Hecktique

Postby support » 04 November 2013, 16:24

The existing 64bits driver is supposed to be Windows 8 compliant (signed sys & dll files + signed catalog file)
The existing 32bits drivers is not Windows 8 compliant (first time we hear about a 32bits Windows 8).
So we added sys & dll files signature + catalog file to the 32bits beta driver, same as we did for the 64bits driver.

We know that Windows 8 makes the maximum to block drivers who do not pay the Micro$oft licence, but since it works under 64bits OS, it should work on 32bits OS to.

PS: an INF file can not be signed (this is a text file, not a binary file).
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Hecktique » 23 November 2013, 08:56

Hello again.

Just to let you know I finally fixed it...

First since I want to connect a D512 to an Acer Iconia W510 Convertible tablet, I just needed to wait until Acer provided me with a patch to overcome the digital signature check in the BIOS settings. Fortunately they did, so I got that covered... but then I still had to figure out that the the 2kb sized efk.inf file that comes provided exclusively with your drivers_test folder needs to be copied into the 32bits_W8 driver folder along with all the .inf files for the separate interfaces. After trying that, W8.1 allowed me to install the whole driver package from the 32bits_W8 folder, and it runs perfectly now.

I hope progress on the next Sweetlight version is going well, can't wait!
Hecktique

Next

Return to Windows