Editor App won't open

post here topics for Windows only

Editor App won't open

Postby se1jam » 10 October 2013, 00:58

I just purchased the DMX 512. I downloaded showxpress and driver from website. the demo show control loaded. I started with the manual to learn the software and did ok until I got to editor app. It would not open. When I click on it I get the cursor circle spin but nothing opens. All other apps open. I'm using Windows 8 on a HP 2000 laptop 4GB ram 2.4.Ghz intel core i3. I uninstalled and redownloaded software but had same results. Do you know of any fixes for this problem? Thanks for any assistance.
se1jam

Re: Editor App won't open

Postby support » 10 October 2013, 07:27

Please retry with the software from here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=114
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby se1jam » 10 October 2013, 23:57

I just downloaded showxpress from the link you sent for Windows. It is doing the same thing. Editor app won't open but all others will open with a click. Demo show is on the showxpress icon when I click on it from my desktop. Do I want to run it or save it when given the option. I have chose "Run" each time I download software. Thanks for the your help.
se1jam

Postby support » 11 October 2013, 07:25

In order to know if this problem is exclusively with your computer, please try the same software on another Windows computer, and let us know the result.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby se1jam » 12 October 2013, 01:04

I loaded the showxpress software on my desktop computer. I can open all apps. My desktop is HP Pavillion with AMD Athlon processor with Vista. I do not have another computer with Windows 8. I uninstalled showxpress and the driver software on my laptop with Windows 8. It recommended a restart after the restart I went to the chauvetlighting website and downloaded showxpress. I plugged in the D512 loaded the driver software then opened up showxpress from the icon shortcut and once again got the same results. All the apps except editor would open. The D512 is recognizing the computer because the PC link is flashing. This again is the Demo Show control Board. The one difference I did notice is that when I downloaded showxpress to my desktop computer it gave me the option of loading demo show control board. I opted for "no". The showxpress control board is labeled default on my desktop computer. When I downloaded to my laptop I did not get the option to choose the Demo Show control board it just loaded showxpress control board Demo Show. I need the showxpress software on my laptop. I thought it was compatible with Windows 8. But it seems to be doing totally different things during the download. I'm not sure what I should do at this point. Thanks for your assistance in this matter.
se1jam

Postby support » 12 October 2013, 10:19

Our software is supposed to work under Windows 8. Please try this:
- disable antivirus (and do not forget to enable it just after the test)
- go in folder "../YourSoftware/Editor/" and open Editor with a mouse double-click
- open the Windows "Task Manager" tab "Process" and check any running "Editor.exe" process

In nothing, we suspect some security files auto update which, for an unknown reason, blocks the program Editor.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby se1jam » 22 October 2013, 03:49

I just finished checking the editor app as you said. I disabled my free AVG antivirus. Windows Defender is turned off as well. AVG antivirus is what I use for virus protection. I went to the Showxpress file double click on it from there I double click Editor and opened the file. I double click on Editor. Then went to Task Manager then Process. I did not see Editor in Process except under Windows Explorer tab Editor did show up but it showed no activity. I then decided to check the other apps. When I opened the file on Setup, Pixels, Live, and 3D View then double clicked on each app they opened up. Then I checked Task Manager then Process each one of those apps showed in the menu bar and displayed CPU activity. I also tried the same apps with the AVG antivirus enabled all apps opened and displayed CPU activity. The Editor app did not open. I can open the Control Board and click on the Editor app and get the spinning circle but nothing opens and it will only show the spinning circle with the first initial click. After that each time you click on Editor icon it just minimizes a little then goes back to original size. Oh by the way,thanks for all the help you have been giving me on trying to resolve this issue.
se1jam

Postby support » 22 October 2013, 08:20

So weird !

Please try this:
- locate the folder "TheLightingController" in your computer (it is in the system "home directory")
- rename it to "TheLightingController2" (in case of your software setttings / lightshow contains corrupted files, the software will ignore them)
- try again to run Editor

PS: to retrieve the original software settings, you will have to delete the new created folder "TheLightingController", and rename back the old one.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby se1jam » 22 October 2013, 18:57

That worked! The Editor app opened up after renaming "TheLightingController" to "TheLightingController2". I checked Task Manager and there is CPU activity. Although I don't quite understand what you mean in your P.S section about deleting new folder and renaming back the old folder. Right now I have two folders one is "TheLighting Controller" and under it is "The Lighting Controller2". Do I delete "TheLighting Controller2" folder and then highlight "TheLightingController" folder backspace it and retype "TheLightingController". I'm not exactly sure here. I'm excited about the app opening and want to make sure i understand what you want me to do. Thanks again!
se1jam

Postby se1jam » 22 October 2013, 22:55

I just finished deleting the newest "TheLightingController" folder. I renamed the old folder "TheLightingController2" back to "TheLightingController". The Editor app would not open or show any CPU activity. So I went back renamed the folder to "TheLightingController2". I opened Editor app. Then went to Task Manager and Process the Editor app displayed in Task Manager and showed CPU activity. I closed all windows and went to the desktop then double clicked on ShowXpress shortcut. A box opened and ask if I wanted to open Demoshow. I chose no. It then opened to the Control Board default. I clicked on each app and they all opened. I did not delete the new folder "TheLightingController". AlsoI did not rename the older folder "TheLightingController2". What should I do now.
se1jam

Next

Return to Windows