Using a mask to aid in creating scenes for layering.

create scenes with steps

Using a mask to aid in creating scenes for layering.

Postby dj spiff » 17 January 2015, 04:08

Layering is truly what sets this product apart. The software handles extreme amounts of data efficiently and effectively. To successfully layer your scenes, it is important to send data only on the channels you are communicating with in that scene. This can be difficult if say, you are setting your color wheels in a scene. You wouldn't want the shutter to open when you trigger the scene, you need to have the shutter open to write it. For this situation I like to use a mask. To create my color scenes, I will first create a scene and call it "mask-color" I would then position all the fixtures where I can see them, open the shutter, and whatever else I need to get the job done. I then create a button for this mask in live. I actually keep a mask page for making things easy. Make sure you turn on 3D or DMX or both in live and activate your new mask button.

Now that you have your mask active, you can focus on positioning only the channels that you are trying to effect. With layering, stray signals can mean major headaches. With some attention to detail, and creative use of such masks, incredibly dynamic light shows are possible.
dj spiff

Re: Using a mask to aid in creating scenes for layering.

Postby Art-Tistic » 14 November 2015, 14:29

while this sounds like an interesting concept I can't visualize how you are using the mask to then edit the other items (leaving the mask items deselected in the scene you are working on...) or are you saying this mask stays on to activate the items that are not effected by the scene you are editing and the masked features will be controlled by other buttons (as part of the layering).... if I'm misunderstanding your concept could you post a short video of how you are using the masks?

thanks!!

Peace
Anthony
Art-Tistic

Return to Editor - Steps