movement window not reflecting actual head movement

create scenes with steps

movement window not reflecting actual head movement

Postby pwes » 04 September 2014, 17:22

Hi Guys, difficult one to describe, but here goes...

I have a moving head with pan of 540 degrees, thus 1.5 revolutions. 540 is specified in the 'Edit Fixture' pop up, although only under 3D view, I can't see anywhere else it needs to be specified

When I use 'Steps' and select 127 on the fader, the head actually rotates to 270 degrees (3/4 of one rotation), so in terms of the fader being half way, the head is moving halfway so all is good.

However when using the movement window (large grey square where you use mouse and plot step points), placing the curser midway should (I would have thought) move the head to behind me (so 180 degrees) or am I going mad ? So it appears to me the the movement window does not re-calibrate based on the fixture, but stays at 360 degrees regardless

Other software I've used does what I would expect, so am I missing a setting somewhere or is there a bug in the software.

I have other moving heads, but not tried this with them yet as I'm new to ShowXpress

Look forward to any tips/ help you offer, thanks !!

Pete
pwes

Re: movement window not reflecting actual head movement

Postby pwes » 04 September 2014, 17:35

As an update to this, the 3D window does take into consideration that the fixture does 540 degrees.

So, when the movement window has the curser placed on the central line (fader is then at 127), the head is pointing in the opposite direction in the 3D visualiser. So the visualiser reflects the movement window correctly, although the actual moving head has still only done 270 degrees

This of course makes it pretty much impossible to programme at home and have the lights do what you planned when you go live!

Hope this extra info helps...
pwes

Postby pwes » 04 September 2014, 17:46

Further update, yes I AM going mad !!

because some of my fixtures were getting confused in the 3D vis. I removed them all and added 1 by 1, starting with the head I'm talking about.

This is now reflecting the actually movement of both the actual moving head AND the movement window, so mid point in the movement window and 127 on the fader turns the actual head and the head in the visualiser 270 degrees

I still don't think this is correct, but at least everything is equally messed up ;-)

Anyone have any clues how to get the movement window to re-calibrate to accept 540 degrees as the full movement of a moving head ?

Thanks

Pete
pwes

Postby support » 04 September 2014, 18:22

We had a similar problem in a previous version.
Can you please try with this recent program, and tell us if you still have the same problem: http://download.thelightingcontroller.c ... roller.zip
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby dj spiff » 16 January 2015, 03:56

You can adjust the pan and tilt degrees in the fixture setup. This should make the 3d model match reality better.

When I set up my moving heads, I make the value 127 on pan shoot straight off the stage. This is very handy because you can easily mirror stage left and right. Basically, <127 turns the head left, and >127 turns the head right. I have used a total station to map a room, imported it into the 3D viewer, and added fixtures. Having been through this process I can honestly say that this viewer is a true 3D model. I was amazed at how accurate my design was compared to reality.

The open source program called "Blender" is a great way to create custom objects for the visualizer.
dj spiff

Return to Editor - Steps