DMX Output Question.

start all applications from here
Lothiam

DMX Output Question.

Post by Lothiam »

Just started to prep to use this software for our church lighting system and a bit confused about the best way to set things up. Have only worked with physical light boards to this point and just delving into software based lighting solutions. On our board right now I can patch a slider to control 2 or more DMX channels, or patch a slider to a different dmx channel. I would like to be able to do something like this with showxpress especially as we are able to group channels together for like purposes (i.e. all the lights on the piano) in a range of sliders near each other even though the circuits from the dimmer back may not be next to each other as far as DMX addressing goes. Is there a way to do this? i.e.

Slider DMX
1 1
2 36
3 10+15

And so on.

Help would really be appreciated.
pogjack

Re: DMX Output Question.

Post by pogjack »

I am using this software for my church also (about 2 years) and have found it very versitile.

Just letting you know how I have it working now. I have made scenes, say (for your instance) piano lights up fade. I set a scene where all the piano lights I want on, is set to fade up. I then made the same scene but for fade down. In Live, you make buttons that are set for that scene and you don't have to worry about moving all the faders at one, the scene will do it for you.

If you need to manually adjust the "piano lights" you can make a Group in the Editor page that will only include the piano lights. Then when you are making scenes are just need to adjust the lights, you can select the letter of the group you want and all the lights you specified for the "piano lights" will be available.
Lothiam

Post by Lothiam »

Thanks for the reply, I am excited for it's versatility but maybe I didn't clarify well enough. If I want one slider to output multiple dmx channels or a different dmx channel than the number on the slider how might I accomplish that?
tomrbland

Post by tomrbland »

I don't have the software infront of me just at the moment, but I think that you can achieve this with the program called "DMX & MIDI Patch" (I think that's what the program is called).
Lothiam

Post by Lothiam »

Definitely would like some input on that. I have tried and it just made a bunch of channels do the wrong light or stop working.
Johann911

Post by Johann911 »

There is a way you can link multiple channels together - but as far as I know - not by the patch option.
Open your editor and you will see all the fixtures you added in setup.
All you need to do is select all the fixtures you want to be on the same DMX address (ctrl and click on each of them) then right click and say add new group.
Then give the group a name (ie. piano spots) and if you want, a shortcut key (ie. 'p').

Then, instead of clicking on the lights in the editor window, click on the group name at the bottom right and you can control all sliders simultaneously, or individually. Not exactly what you were looking for, but it does work.
Lothiam

Post by Lothiam »

Ok so if the lights for our worship leader are on 10 and 15 dmx I must set those up as separate dmx addressing items on 10 and 15 and not set up channel 3 with 2 cloned lights and then repatch to dmx 10 and 15?
pogjack

Post by pogjack »

I would definetly keep their original dmx on the software and grp them together. Main reason being what if you want to control them separately one day. Now you have all the channels on their separate dmx and you dont have to figure out what channel goes to what light.
The Editor screen allows you to set groups which makes selecting common lights quicker. Good luck. So far i have done atleast four dramas and use it to control the regular house lights too. I like the fact that i can go home and with 3D preprogram my scenes then fine tune at the church for intel positioning.
Lothiam

Post by Lothiam »

Thanks all for your help. Going to try it this Sunday Live.

Return to “ControlBoard”