How to PROGRAM via wireless??

post here other topics

How to PROGRAM via wireless??

Postby DHOYT123 » 04 January 2015, 21:35

Hi,

I'd like to be able to PROGRAM wireless so that I can walk around the room. The Live Mobile software is just for playback, right? Attached is a diagram of the two ways I thought of doing it:

1) Attach my D512 to my laptop, or Microsoft Surface, and use a DMX transmitter. The problem is that the DMX transmitter needs to be plugged in to an outlet, thus defeating the purpose of mobility.

2) The other way I tried was to set up a wireless router. The Blue Tooth on my laptop "saw" the router and I logged on, but when I plugged the D512 into the USB port on the router I couldn't get it to work. I assumed that there must be a difference between the USB port on the laptop and the one on the router. Something technical I didn't know about.

Does anyone know why option 2 didn't work, or have any other ideas about how to accomplish my goal?
Thanks,
David
Attachments
wireless_question.jpg
wireless_question.jpg (31.21 KiB) Viewed 8322 times
DHOYT123

Re: How to PROGRAM via wireless??

Postby Lighter007 » 05 January 2015, 11:11

Hi,
As first: Great idea! :) Would be great if it works.
I think the USB port at the router is just for network-harddrive disk for remote access. The router handles it like this so in my opinion it would be very hard to make it work because the D512 has a very big data stream and always has to be connected to the software. A solution would be a completely new driver which would be uploaded to the router, but this is just for pro coding experts.

But I have got two much easier solutions:
1. TeamViewer is a software which mirrors the screen of a computer. You just need another PC.
2. I think the WDMX transmitter runs with 5 Volt (look on the power supply output). If you are a good at soldering you can build an adapter from usb to the transmitter.

Lighter007

PS: An editor section for LiveMobile would be great!
Greetings from Germany! :)
Lighter007

Postby DHOYT123 » 05 January 2015, 15:37

Those are both great suggestions. I'll try them.
Thanks,
David
DHOYT123

Postby Pink LD » 07 January 2015, 06:46

I use Teamviwer all the time and highly recommend it. I use an old Linksys router at FOH and a wireless extender back stage to get all the coverage I need. Then I use my tablet, phone or wifi enabled notebook to walk around during a show, or when I am doing focus.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I have 8 years ShowXpress experience with 50-80 shows a year. And I have been wireless for 2 years now.
Pink LD

Return to Other