Installing light [moved]

post here other topics

Installing light [moved]

Postby yogaf » 10 August 2010, 03:52

I have a few basic questions,
1. I just add my system with Chauvet minSpot today (I am using DMX512 with showexpress 6.21)... and I install the fixtures at the end of the dmx numbering but physically I put the light on the middle of the run. Back to the question... do the dmx numbering need to be align with the way you connect your light? Since after I connect that light, some of my other light is going crazy. blinking by itself, changing color.. just wierd.

2. can I use mic cable? if not what kind of cable are you recommending? ( I read about data cable by belden but they are only 2 pin and xlr is 3 pin... do I need to use the positive and negative?

Thank you, Yoga
yogaf

Re: Installing light.

Postby support » 10 August 2010, 06:54

Our knowledge regarding lighting equipment installation is limited. Anyway, here are our answers:

1. No, the dmx numbering does not need to be aligned with the way you connect your lights.
We see two possibilities for the "crazy" light problem:
- too many lights connected to the dmx line (need a dmx booster)
- one light is bad and causes a dmx signal failure (other light become crazy)

2. Mic cable could be ok for short distances. But, regarding electrical ground, they are rules to respect which are different to "Mic" rules. Please ask your retailer to know more.

PS: current software version is 6.23.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Re: Installing light [moved]

Postby yogaf » 11 August 2010, 01:36

Thank you for the reply
yogaf

Re: Installing light [moved]

Postby tomrbland » 11 August 2010, 11:14

yogaf wrote:I have a few basic questions,
1. I just add my system with Chauvet minSpot today (I am using DMX512 with showexpress 6.21)... and I install the fixtures at the end of the dmx numbering but physically I put the light on the middle of the run. Back to the question... do the dmx numbering need to be align with the way you connect your light? Since after I connect that light, some of my other light is going crazy. blinking by itself, changing color.. just wierd.

Hi yoga,

That sounds like there is a fault some where. the way I would go about finding it is to firstly put a terminator at the end of the line. Then unplug all but the first light then work your way along until it all goes wrong, then bypass that fixture. If it is still going wrong then replace that cable (probably the issue). After that if it is still going wrong try running each light individually and checking that they each work on their own etc.

Hope you find your problem.
(With regard to mic cable - personally I have never had a problem using it. But then again I don't do REALLY long runs only 200M or so at an absolute max! I often rundown the sound dept's multicore!) EDIT - what I said here in IMO and is controversial so please don't quote me on it, I don't guarantee it will work!
tomrbland

Return to Other