D512 not found after while [fixed]

usb to dmx (2009 - 2019)

D512 not found after while [fixed]

Postby Arjan » 31 August 2011, 14:08

Hi,

I wanted to try my Chauvet ShowXpress 512 interface on my Windows 7 64 bit system (been using it on a Netbook running Windows XP 32 bit until now) and when I plugged it in Windows said something (in a system tray tooltip) about installing drivers for the D512, without asking me to provide any drivers. I never got a chance to tell it to use the new 1.04 drivers that I downloaded from your website but perhaps they were already installed as part of ShowXpress 6.271 that was already on the system?

The problem is that when I start ShowXpress it says No universe universe found. The POWER and PC LINK don't light on the box. I tried connecting it to several USB ports but no go. My USB mouse works fine on all those ports btw.

I then tried re-connecting it to my Netbook but now when I connect it Windows tells me that 'A device has caused a current peak on the hub port' (translated from the original Dutch text, I think the English version of Windows would have said 'Power Surge On Hub Port'). It's connected directly to the Netbook btw, not through a separate USB hub. This never happened before and my ShowXpress 512 is now no longer recognized by ShowXpress on my Netbook (whereas it worked just fine 30 minutes ago).

I'm getting the distinct impression that my ShowXpress 512 somehow got fried. What do I do now? Please advise. I'm an electrical engineer so if it's likely to be something simple I could perhaps fix it myself.
Arjan

Re: D512 not found by ShowXpress on Windows 7 64 bit

Postby support » 31 August 2011, 14:36

The "power" led staying off means no power in the printed board.
May be the interface has been burned by some bad current coming from the dmx line (this happen sometimes with Chinese lights) (?)
As electrical engineer, we suggest you to open it and visually check if some parts are burned.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Arjan » 31 August 2011, 20:44

support wrote:The "power" led staying off means no power in the printed board.
May be the interface has been burned by some bad current coming from the dmx line (this happen sometimes with Chinese lights) (?)
As electrical engineer, we suggest you to open it and visually check if some parts are burned.

I have sent an email to support(at)sweetlight-controller.com with some detailed pictures and some other additional info. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Arjan
Arjan

Postby support » 01 September 2011, 09:00

There is no trace of burn components (bad current from the dmx line).
No "power" led means no power in printed circuit board.
It looks that, for an unknown reason, the board is brocken.
Please return it to your retailer.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Arjan » 01 September 2011, 15:00

Just wanted to report here that with the kind help from support by email I was able to repair my indeed fried interface :) . Now to figure out what on earth (no pun intended) caused this.
Arjan

Postby Sound Storms Ent. » 04 September 2011, 02:42

support wrote:The "power" led staying off means no power in the printed board.

Just out of curiosity is there anything we can do to prevent damage like this from happening? Any kind of a diode block or anything? I tour with a group doing their lighting at different venues sometimes using the venues lights. And not you have me worried. lol....
Storm
Sound Storms Entertainment
www.SoundStormsDJ.com
Sound Storms Ent.

Re: D512 not found after while [fixed]

Postby support » 04 September 2011, 08:08

The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby Sound Storms Ent. » 05 September 2011, 00:20

support wrote:http://forum.thelightingcontroller.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=468
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=374

Thank you. I have found where to get them from. Is there any down fall to using this isolator constantly?
Storm
Sound Storms Entertainment
www.SoundStormsDJ.com
Sound Storms Ent.

Postby support » 05 September 2011, 07:47

A dmx isolator is perfect to protect the couple dmx interface/computer. We advise to always use it.
However, it does not fix any problem: your dmx line can be very dangerous (100V in the ground line for instance), and you will not see it from your computer.

Reminder: our interfaces Ssa and Remote have built in dmx optical isolation, which is same than using an external isolator.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to D512