problem in dmx line > D512 destroyed

usb to dmx (2009 - 2019)

problem in dmx line > D512 destroyed

Postby SWFL LD » 12 August 2014, 03:57

You guys are great. Thanks for all your help.
Today I was at the club that's been giving me problems. (2013 Gateway laptop, X-Factor interface)
Last week I was forced to jump back to win 6.3.2. after multiple problems with upgrading to 7 two weeks ago
After I overcame the android tablet issues and thoroughly tested the system, I decided to take a chance and try upgrading to 7.1.5 again.
I completely un-installed all previous versions, deleted "the lighting controller" folder from C:/Users/Admin and proceeded with a fresh download and install of ShowXpres_win7.1.5.
After starting the program, importing the show files and loading the show, right away all fixtures went completely buggy. Random spikes of all channels full on.
The longer it ran, the worse and more frequent the problem became.
I checked the data stream speed 1st. It was set to Med. Tried both other settings but no difference (yes, I closed and re-started the program after each speed change).
I then unplugged the DMX OUT from the X-Factor.
All of my led pars froze on the last color scene and stopped bugging out. The problem stopped which means it's not a ground loop in my DMX chain. In fact, I'm using an isolated active splitter just after the X-Factor which further decreases the chances of a ground loop reaching the X-Factor at all.
Plugged DMX back in and everything went buggy again.
Un-installed 7 again, dis connected usb to X-Factor, deleted TLC folder and re-installed 6.3.2 and viola! Everything worked fine.
My conclusion:
My X-Factor and rack plus units seem to work fine with 7, but this client's X-Factor doesn't.
The DLL file fix- efk_hardware.dll doesn't seem to work on all older interfaces.
Could this be because of differences in firmware versions among these 1st gen interfaces?
It won't break my heart if I can't upgrade this venue. I really just needed the 4 master faders which I have now so no biggie.
My client decided to take the cheap road and buy a dis-continued piece of gear. Neither one of us should be expected to support it forever.

Now about losing the page fade option, sorry, but I have to say BOOOO!!
OMG, this was one of the best features ever. Without it, I'm forced to create 2 wash pages- 1 fade and 1- snap.
The real inconvenience of this is realized while busking for a band on a tablet.
Just sayin.
SWFL LD

Re: Ghost DMX triggering and other V-7 anomalies

Postby support » 12 August 2014, 07:40

Thank you for this clear report.

My X-Factor and rack plus units seem to work fine with 7, but this client's X-Factor doesn't.

Very weird indeed !

The DLL file fix- efk_hardware.dll doesn't seem to work on all older interfaces

Weird to, because the change has been done exclusively for X-Factor.
Please read this topic: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3181

Anyway, we keep all these problems in mind.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby SWFL LD » 13 August 2014, 00:59

Thanks again.
I think this box may be smoked.
Smells smoked.
I'm ordering a new Xpress 512 for this venue.
How can I test the dmx signal path? (at the cable leaving the box)
Should there be voltage present and if so how much?
What should the resistance range be?
I don't want to smoke another box (if indeed it smoked on this system).
SWFL LD

Postby support » 13 August 2014, 07:06

If it smells smoked, there is a good chance that there is a ground loop coming from the dmx line. Please read this: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1686

In any case, do not plug any new D512 interface, without fixing the dmx line problem. Otherwise, you will destroy it to.

If you can not fix the dmx line problem, we suggest you to insert a dmx booster with optical isolation, between the dmx interface and the dmx line. So problem will still exist, but the dmx interface will be protected.

FYI, our dmx interface "Remote" has an embedded dmx optical isolation.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby SWFL LD » 14 August 2014, 05:30

This system has an active dmx splitter with (they say) electronic and optical isolation.
I will test and inspect the system for dmx or fixture issues prior to installing a replacement interface.
FYI- the only Chauvet equipment in this system is the control. Everything else is made by American something.
This might very well be the problem as I've had unpleasant experiences with their gear recently.
SWFL LD

Postby SWFL LD » 16 August 2014, 06:30

All my hardware issues seem to be solved.
Using my Fluke dvm I tested the dmx data stream today starting with the xlr connector on the cable leaving the interface and found 5.4vdc returning on pins 1+2 and 2+3 nothing on 1+3.
The 4 output xlrs from the splitter were reading 2.4vdc on the same pin config.
Not knowing at the time if this was a problem, I went to Doug Fleenor's website and quickly educated myself on the dmx dc pulse code while I was on hold with the company that makes the 6 way opti splitter. This guy gets on the phone and after exchanging a few pleasantries asks me what product I was calling about. After I told him he replies "Oh, we've been having problems with those". I explained the voltage readings to him and the fact that my client's controller is toast and he referred me to his super who was not there to talk to.
My next call was to Chauvet. The guy there was way more helpful. He told me there should be 0vdc present before the splitter. I get this because of the isolation. Opto-Iso blocks all dc in 1 direction much like a diode. This scenario is not true in the output legs from the splitter. The 2.4vdc I read are from the fixtures. Any fixture set as a master (most are set to by default) will broadcast bi-directionally on that data leg in vdc. The opto splitter will prevent a master from controlling slaves on a different data leg.
Armed with this wonderful newly found knowledge, I sent the club owner out to grab me a Chauvet Data Stream 4 and ripped out that other pos splitter.
less than 30 mins later I had the ds 4 and our new Xpress 512 installed. Then re-upgraded to V7 and everything is hunkey dorey.
Now just 1 more question in this thread:
That splitter is still under warranty and I can prove it smoked the X-Factor. Can we collect damages from them?
SWFL LD

Return to D512