Win7 32Bit SAA Driver Install Issue [fixed]

computer, driver, ...

Win7 32Bit SAA Driver Install Issue [fixed]

Postby discobuzzmdj » 24 January 2012, 07:41

Hi,

I have been trying to install my SSA on my win7 32bit laptop, and cannot get it to install. I just reinstalled windows, and it worked fine before the reinstall, and for awhile after the reinstall also. But now the driver won't install no matter what I try.

The problem: When I plug in the SAA, noting comes up, but sometimes windows pops up with the installing device driver software window. This will just say that it is a unidentified device and cannot be installed. OR it will search windows online for the driver, but then BLUE SCREEN the computer!

So when nothing pops up, I go into the device manager, and it is listed under 'Unknown Device'.
I then go to right click on it to select 'update driver software'.
If I press 'search automatically for updated driver software', it will say 'SAA Interface 64bits (V 1.04)' 'Driver is not intended for this platform'. I know it is not the correct driver since I am running a 32bit win 7. So,

I then try again this time pressing 'browse computer for driver software'. First I browse to "C:\Program Files\ShowXpress\drivers\" and check the include sub folders box. It then comes up with the same issue, 'Driver is not intended for this platform' since it found the 64bit version.
So I then search again in "C:\Program Files\ShowXpress\drivers\D512-BOX-REMOTE-SSA_for_32bits_OS" to force it to find the 32bit version. I then get error "The system cannot find the file specified"

I have tried the above solution for both the original drivers that came with the software, and the drivers downloaded separately from this forum in the software section.

I then tried using MM's Digital Signature resolve option, (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=132&p=467&hilit=+digital#p467) but after removing the Digital Driver Signature from the files, it still came up with the error 'The system cannot find the file specified'.

I also tried installing the driver directly by right clicking the .inf files (that were downloaded and the files that came with the software) and clicking install, but just get the message 'The INF file you selected does not support this type of installation'.

I have also tried reinstalling the showexpress software including manually deleting files left over in "C:\Program Files\ShowXpress\" after the windows uninstall.

I am desperately asking for assistance and suggestions as I have gigs upcoming in a few days with light shows already programmed.

I have loved this software so far, but the driver installation has always been a major issue for me. May I suggest a driver install wizard in the next release??
Last edited by discobuzzmdj on 25 January 2012, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
discobuzzmdj

Re: !!! Win7 32Bit SAA Driver Install Issue HELP!!!!

Postby support » 24 January 2012, 10:23

driver install wizard

This will not fix the problem, because it is a Windows problem.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=132&p=467&hilit=+digital#p467

Please do not refer to links from year 2009. This link is 100% obsolete.

Our suggestion:
- try the interface on another computer, in order to know if the interface is brocken or not
- if working (interface ok), then you just have to install the recent driver
But, if you there is already other installed drivers, then arrive the problems: oftenly, the Operating System denies to install the new driver because it decides that the already installed driver is better. We oftenly meet this problem, and sometimes we had to go in the system folders and to manually erase the driver files (we do not advise that because dangerous).
If your OS does not let you install the recent driver, we suggest you to ask for some help from people with strong Windows experience.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby discobuzzmdj » 25 January 2012, 14:55

My dad has solved the issue of win7 not installing the driver correctly as follows ...

I tried installing both the application (showXpress V6.30 beta 2) and the driver (v1.04) on an Windows XP Pro 32-bit
machine, which all worked fine. I installed the driver from the device manager, using the option "Install from a specific
location" and browsed to the files downloaded along with the app (in C:\Program Files\ShowXpress\drivers\D512-BOX-REMOTE-SSA_for_32bits_OS). During the driver install XP reports that software "has not passed the Windows Logo testing", but I
did the usual "Continue Anyway". XP then reports that file 'EFKusb.sys' is needed, and I browsed to the same folder (that contains the .inf file). All was now good with the driver and app under XP.

I then repeated the process under Win 7 (32-bit). I noticed that Win7 complains about driver not having been tested under Windows Logo, but when it couldn't find the actual driver file EFKusb.sys, it does not give you the chance to browse for it (as XP does), but just fails the install with the error message "The system cannot find the file specified".

To make Win 7 find the EFKusb.sys file, I edited the SSA_32bits_v104.inf file in the drivers folder, specifying the absolute path of the EFKusb.sys file, but could not save the edited file to the original folder! I then copied the complete folder of C:\Program Files\ShowXpress\drivers\D512-BOX-REMOTE-SSA_for_32bits_OS to C:\Users\Sam\D512-BOX-REMOTE-SSA_for_32bits_OS.

The edit of the file SSA_32bits_v104.inf was in the line immediately under the [EFKusb.NT] header, changing from "CopyFiles=EFKusb.Files.Ext" to "CopyFiles=C:\Users\Sam\D512-BOX-REMOTE-SSA_for_32bits_OS\EFKusb.Files.Ext".

There must be a better way, but this worked for me! :D

BTW, you can force a re-install or the driver by deleting (or renaming) the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\EFKusb.sys then reconnecting the USB.
discobuzzmdj

Postby support » 25 January 2012, 18:00

Thank you for this report.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to General hardware