How to change the beam ?

graphic representation in 3 dimensions

How to change the beam ?

Postby BurnTHalO » 26 November 2010, 01:03

I've been a musician for a long time and I started playing with some DMX lighting. I litterally know nothing, but I thought it would be fun to try to just create a show with the 3D viewer. I've gotten lights into the 3D View, and am able to change colorings, strobing, etc. The one thing I can't figure out is how to change the beam. It seems no matter what I do, any smart light I select does not project a beam out to the floor/wall (it just glows the color I have selected, or strobes depending on what I have done). Like I said, extremely new to any sort of lighting so I'm sure this is something really basic (maybe i just haven't selected a smart light that does such things), but any help would be great. For example on what I would like to play with, in the video on setup shows (under more info), I'd like to get something like the end of the video going (however I don't have a light to input, I'm just looking to play with any of the preloaded lights).
BurnTHalO

Re: Looking for help for extreme beginner

Postby tomrbland » 26 November 2010, 02:25

So you have a fixture in 3D view?

It projects a spot of light on the the floor but it does not show a beam?

If I have understood this correctly then please try the following:
Right click in 3D view,
Select 3D settings,
in the section "Beam Rendering" make sure the two sliders "Beam Intensity" and "Length" are at about half way.

If you couldn't get even a single spot of light in 3D view then check that the 3D view button is active in builder. the button I press at 8:52 on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A90qIfMxDWU (which you can also find on this page: http://www.sweetlight-controller.com/english/info.html

If that didn't help please let me know.
tomrbland

Re: How to change the beam ? [moved]

Postby BurnTHalO » 27 November 2010, 00:02

I actually can't get it to display onto the walls either. I have clicked the 3dView button in editor. I also changed both the beam and lenth to half way, still with no luck.
BurnTHalO

Postby tomrbland » 28 November 2010, 00:14

So the light moves but there is no beam? What fixture are you using? Have you tried with a simple par can?
tomrbland

Postby Niffo » 01 December 2010, 13:03

May be you have checked the "Show Backside" option in the 3D settings of 3DView ?
Niffo
Administrateur

Postby BurnTHalO » 02 December 2010, 01:11

Yes, Pars work just fine (as do strobes). Maybe I am just selecting smart lights that don't do what I want? Maybe all I need is just a suggestion of a preset light to play with for my smart lights.
BurnTHalO

Postby support » 02 December 2010, 08:33

We suggest you to download and install the "demo show".
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=114
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby BurnTHalO » 03 December 2010, 22:31

I loaded the demo. The Pars, strobes, and color changer scenes all project out beams. However, the small scans, mirrors, and heads do not project beams, and the bulbs simply light up without projecting anything onto the stage.
BurnTHalO

Postby Niffo » 03 December 2010, 22:35

It seems you have a problem with gobos ? You can try to update your video driver ...
Niffo
Administrateur

Return to 3DView