adding a second univers interface after some scenes problem

create lighting scenes

adding a second univers interface after some scenes problem

Postby ManMartin » 14 August 2011, 15:20

Hello

I have notice that if you have already 1 interface installed and you program some scenes
and after some time, lets say 1 month, you add a second interface to control a 2nd universe
some problems will appear.

First, for unknown reason adding the second interface (correctly detected by sweetlight) the
universes swap. I mean that the last added universe become the already installed universe one
and the last installed become the first universe.

Even this problem can be related to the physical number of the ports of the pc, it is really disturbing as suddenly
adding one universe give you an instant black-out in your lights until you discover that you must
to swap your dmx cables in your installation.

Second and more severe problem is that for an unknown reason, once added the 2nd universe and
swapped the dmx cables to match again the installation, you start to program new scenes for this new 2nd universe
as usual but surprisingly these new scenes are related with the scenes of the first universe in the way that
gives you a black out in all the old already programed scenes... I mean, it is like your original scenes have
the already info inside of all the 2nd univ channels selected (included) but with zero values in their channels

I hope you try to solve this bug cause the only way to fix this situation is 1st: go back and don't use more universes but
only one, or 2nd: reprogram all the already existing scenes in universe 1 to not to affect to the new included universe two
(with the universe two already connected of course, if not the problem will appear again).

I will never loose my faith in this software of course, don't misunderstand me...

cheers from Spain

PS: it is the second installation we have where I found out this problem, last version used.
ManMartin

Re: adding a second univers interface after some scenes problem

Postby support » 14 August 2011, 18:00

First problem
Not easy to fix because, despite old serial ports, the usb ports do not have "easy" id. There can be 2, 4 usb ports ; if you add a usb hub, then you have 4 more ports. So we are presently not able to identify each usb port. Anyway, this is not a big issue, since you just have to swap the dmx line.

Second problem
Looks like a bug.
Noted in the TODO list.
Unfortunately, we could check it only at the end of this month.
Sorry for this delay (Summer holiday).
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby ManMartin » 14 August 2011, 22:05

Happy summer...

Anyway you can add a msgbox like
"a new interface have been detected... if you experience
any problem please change the dmx output cables to
adapt your installation to this new configuration."

almost you point to the user to a solution...

cheers.
ManMartin

Postby kahilzinger » 06 September 2011, 18:21

It is pretty easy to swap things around and machines detect devices as new if you plug them into a different USB port.

Try this:

* Number your DMX interfaces 1 - however many interfaces you have, with a maximum of 12 because of the software's ability to control up to 6 1024 channel universes.

* Number your cables for each interface that corrisponds to it.

* Purchase a USB 2.0 or 3.0 hub with external power. This often is beneficial because it creates less drain on the laptop or tower and some of those cannot support that many devices or do so at a lower voltage than the 5 volts these require. Most come in the 4 or 8 port varieties and that could control 2 or 4 1024 universes. If you need more, purchase additional USB hubs.

*Number each port to corrispond with a DMX interface and cable combination. For instance 1-4 on USB hub #1, 5-8 on USB hub #2 and 9-12 on USB hub #3.

*Make sure you plug your hubs into the same ports on your laptop or tower computer. If it helps to lable them, I would.

As long as you plug the interfaces into the right ports with your pre-labeled cables, there should never be a problem and setup should be quick, especially since you won't have to worry about swapping anything once it is up and running.
kahilzinger

Postby Niffo » 13 September 2011, 22:54

"Second problem" fixed for next release ...
Niffo
Administrateur

Postby ManMartin » 02 November 2011, 10:07

thanks
ManMartin

Return to Editor