Generator SUGGESTION

create lighting scenes

Generator SUGGESTION

Postby monabaker » 28 February 2012, 15:35

So I have been using ShowXPress for a few years now, no big complains. I'm a pretty happy customer overall, but I think I see a way it could be improved, and wanted to post it here, and see people's thoughts.

WHAT IF....

In generator, on the right side, all of the curves were overlayed/overlapped on one graph?

Right now, if I had a fixture that was RGB, let's pretend it was a LED Par can, with RGB, and it had 4 channels of DMX. (Red, Green, Blue, Dimmer) I'd have four check boxes on the left side of generator, and if I single clicked the name of one of those, I would see its corresponding curve along the timeline. But what if I wanted to see all of those at the same time, instead of one at a time? For me, this would be helpful.

Now, if I had a fixture with a ton of channels of DMX, I can see that becoming very confusing to display all of them at once. So here's what I propose...

What if there was some sort of check box that said "ADD TO DISPLAY", and the user could check off as many different DMX channels that they wanted to display their curves at the same time? This way, instead of having a different graph/view for each one. There was now only 1 graph, and we could enable/disable, any channels of DMX to have their curves shown on that at once. Whether it's one, or all, it would be up to the user.

Discuss...
monabaker

Re: Generator SUGGESTION

Postby tomrbland » 28 February 2012, 17:26

I like the idea of being able to see an outline of what the other channels shapes are. So depending on what channel you selected would depend which line was solid and "editable". This would mean that you could actually understand what was going on with the channel values across the whole fixture. The difficulty would arise when there is a different time period for two channels. (if one is set to take 5 seconds and one to 3 seconds for example; not that I have ever wanted to do this!).

But yes, nice idea.
tomrbland

Re: Generator SUGGESTION

Postby support » 28 February 2012, 18:23

You are right Tom.
Most of the time, channels have different time period ; this is the first issue we have to fix, before thinking of this.
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Return to Editor