MAC OS / DMX Will Not Work with Editor, Live etc

post here topics for Mac OS only

MAC OS / DMX Will Not Work with Editor, Live etc

Postby karlmosborne » 09 June 2014, 22:29

Hi All

I have a major issue that I really cannot resolve and need some help with, it is kinda MAC techi if I am honest.

I have been using ShowXpress fine for about a month on my new MACBook Pro Retina. I did the following for installation just for background / reference

Downloaded & Copied / Installed Software into Applications folder as per instructions. Copied details from Windows workspace setup into relevant folders, linked up where I needed to, changed the App Nap status on all App files and it all worked find for about 10 gigs.

Then about 3 weeks ago I suddenly I started getting USB issues with the MACbook Pro, not reading memory card, stating errors and I spoke to AppleCare (being under the first 90 days cover...) who where quick to advise that there was a known issue which they could easily fix and they did a Disk Verify & Repair (which showed no errors, so not sure why they did that) PARM Reset & also Soft OS Re-install, which in all took about an hour and I could use my USB card reader again, so I though all was fine & I have been using fine ever since for personal use.

I did not use the MACBook Pro for about a week for gigging, I went to a gig last weekend and the Software just would not work.

I plugged in the Controller as per normal, started the software, into Live and I have no response from the controller, data link is active, USB power switch is fine & I have tested the USB cables & DMX in my old Laptop setup and all works fine (luckily I had a backup at the gig)

So the question I am asking, is that how do I get the software to work again with my controller. Please see below my steps to fix myself so far

1. Uninstall Software, Emptied Trash, Rebooted, Re-downloaded a new copy of Software from Chauvet Website, Installed, would not work, noticed that App Nap status is ticked (so presuming that MAC OS is using a dynamic link somewhere to remember the App Nap State by Folder name).
2. So Did 1. again and installed into a different named folder & still would not work, however App Nap Status was not ticked (Proved the Theory about the App Nap Dynamic Table Link).
3. Uninstalled again as per 1, did a PARM Reset before reinstall, still as 2.

Still not working, just power and data lights on as per normal and no response from software also notice that both DMX & 3D not working. Also noticed that the 3D images are not as I saved them, it looks like it is defaulting that element as my fixtures are not showing.

So now I am at a loss, I just cannot get the controller to respond on the MAC, it works fine on my Windows Laptop.

Can anyone with a serious amount of MAC OS tech knowledge advise on what library/private files do I need to change, or what I need to update the App Nap or how to break the Link to the Dynamic Software Table (or whatever it is called), or simply am I going to have to do a Hard Re-install, instead of a Soft Re-install.

Many thanks in advance :)
karlmosborne

Re: MAC OS / DMX Will Not Work with Editor, Live etc

Postby karlmosborne » 09 June 2014, 23:12

Following my original post which is still outstanding below. I have just downloaded V7 Beta & low and behold it works absolutely fine in Live view with all my shows working fine. So I recon that either files are locked or perhaps damaged after soft re-install. Can the Lighting Controller team confirm what dll's etc the software uses in V6.333 so that I can perhaps back out, or perhaps they can create a small reset file for this issue, if others are having a similar issue. If you guys need video etc please let me know and I will organise & upload to my server for you to download to replicate the issue.

V7 Feedback running Mavericks OS

on a different note initial feedback with V7:
[*] Error notice tcp/ip not working on start up which means app will not work via iPhone
[*] Pixels not working on playback, evening when selecting DMX on and all others off. This was a known issue that if Live DMX out was on, then Pixels or Edit would not work. Perhaps a boolean group button link with confirmation box, that if user selects a DMX on and it is already on in another group, then ask for confirmation, so that user knows if lights have going out in live why.
[*] Love the new graphics in regards to the colours and sliders etc & the whole concept of keeping in one place..well done so far everyone

karlmosborne wrote:Hi All

I have a major issue that I really cannot resolve and need some help with, it is kinda MAC techi if I am honest.

I have been using ShowXpress fine for about a month on my new MACBook Pro Retina. I did the following for installation just for background / reference

Downloaded & Copied / Installed Software into Applications folder as per instructions. Copied details from Windows workspace setup into relevant folders, linked up where I needed to, changed the App Nap status on all App files and it all worked find for about 10 gigs.

Then about 3 weeks ago I suddenly I started getting USB issues with the MACbook Pro, not reading memory card, stating errors and I spoke to AppleCare (being under the first 90 days cover...) who where quick to advise that there was a known issue which they could easily fix and they did a Disk Verify & Repair (which showed no errors, so not sure why they did that) PARM Reset & also Soft OS Re-install, which in all took about an hour and I could use my USB card reader again, so I though all was fine & I have been using fine ever since for personal use.

I did not use the MACBook Pro for about a week for gigging, I went to a gig last weekend and the Software just would not work.

I plugged in the Controller as per normal, started the software, into Live and I have no response from the controller, data link is active, USB power switch is fine & I have tested the USB cables & DMX in my old Laptop setup and all works fine (luckily I had a backup at the gig)

So the question I am asking, is that how do I get the software to work again with my controller. Please see below my steps to fix myself so far

1. Uninstall Software, Emptied Trash, Rebooted, Re-downloaded a new copy of Software from Chauvet Website, Installed, would not work, noticed that App Nap status is ticked (so presuming that MAC OS is using a dynamic link somewhere to remember the App Nap State by Folder name).
2. So Did 1. again and installed into a different named folder & still would not work, however App Nap Status was not ticked (Proved the Theory about the App Nap Dynamic Table Link).
3. Uninstalled again as per 1, did a PARM Reset before reinstall, still as 2.

Still not working, just power and data lights on as per normal and no response from software also notice that both DMX & 3D not working. Also noticed that the 3D images are not as I saved them, it looks like it is defaulting that element as my fixtures are not showing.

So now I am at a loss, I just cannot get the controller to respond on the MAC, it works fine on my Windows Laptop.

Can anyone with a serious amount of MAC OS tech knowledge advise on what library/private files do I need to change, or what I need to update the App Nap or how to break the Link to the Dynamic Software Table (or whatever it is called), or simply am I going to have to do a Hard Re-install, instead of a Soft Re-install.

Many thanks in advance :)
karlmosborne

Postby support » 10 June 2014, 06:48

If if works with V7, this means your interface is ok.

All files required for the software are in the same location (V7 and V6). This means, to do a new clean install:
1. put the complete software folder in the Trash
2. copy / paste the complete folder from the DMG file to your computer
3. redo the "app nap" disable for all executable files (V7 has only one, but V6 has more)
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby karlmosborne » 10 June 2014, 07:19

Hi Team

Thank you for your response, I tried your response for V6 and that did not work. Are you saying stick with V7 now as it nearly all works this will be fine.

Warm regards

Karl
karlmosborne

Postby karlmosborne » 10 June 2014, 10:33

Hi Team

Just an update for your whilst you are doing your investigation to resolve.

I have spent 2 hours with Apple Tech Support this morning in view of trying to get them to repair the issue (as they initially did the SMC, PRAM & OS X Reinstall, I have been putting back to Apple to fix) During our investigation this morning we have been trying to look into any possible way that the Apple OS X would remember settings or a previous state or session.

Therefore we have been working in the library both profile and system and we have cleansed cache, Saved Application State, Launch Agents, Launch Demons etc. We have also noticed that your software does not appear in the Saved Application State Folder even when we change the App Nap Status to Disabled, which is strange as VirtualDJ does. Therefore Apple have asked me to ask you to get your software developer to confirm where these settings will be saved, so that these can be released, updated etc.

Our Testing in regards to this is as follows:

Download Install V6 as per normal on OS X, Changed App Nap Status to Disabled
Completely removed V6, Trash app & download, Delete trash & reboot.
Download a new copy & Install, note that the files are showing App Nap Status Disabled Q. How can this be?
If you install into another folder i.e. ShowExpress 2, then the files have App Nap Enabled as per source files, however no changes are being reflected in the Saved Application State folder in the library.

Look forward to your response soon

Warm regards

Karl
karlmosborne

Postby karlmosborne » 10 June 2014, 12:16

Hi Team

Okay, after a lot of time, building a second MAC OS X and Bench Testing I have found a resolution to my issue in respect to MAC OS X and non response of DMX Controller.

Basically the issue is around file OS X permissions... I might be PC trained... how MAC is now my second... It has taken a lot longer than the normal as not familiar with OS X and I have had to really get to grips with it over the last 24 hours.

Update since last post

After a complete Build of a new MAC OS on a Bench Machine from scratch this morning & speaking at length with Apple Techi's this morning, I have been in parallel I kinda working on a theory of the 3D not being visible as per my previous post and through step by step investigation I followed the route cause.

So after installation on the Bench Machine I took detailed snapshot of file properties and attributes and then did the OS X reinstall & compared a snapshot taken after to the before & almost immediately saw the issue.

This is the good bit is is a really simple and easy fix.

App Nap Remembered on Reinstallation
Why App Nap Remembered My Settings. This was down to Apple Cache Files which would remember Previous Status of Application Installations, so every time reinstalled you virtually put it back in previous state. However this was not really an issue & did not cause the non responsive Controller Issue.

Non Responsive Controller Issue
This was down to the Lighting Controller Source Code. As I believe that the reasons for the non responsive Controller was due to the ControllerBoard initial on user load source code, whereby I believe that the source code may due a boolean loop ("if" statement equivalent) to check for a Previous Status as 1, if 0, then will load default value i.e show. Hence why it is not part of the Saved Application State folder, or Cache Data

Therefore if Previous Status is 1, however if OS X reinstall has changed the folder permissions to READ Only, this would effectively cause a hang, as the software would start as per normal thinking it had existing data, however any change in the software status, including Auto DMX on (if set), would not take place, as the Permissions to that folder will not allow to WRITE changes.

Resolution
Therefore simply, close Application, Live & ScreenControl (if still running in background), Unplug your USB Controller, Reboot & then rename your profile default folder: users/name/TheLightingController/ to users/name/x TheLightingController/. Then start he Software again and this will force the ControllerBoard initial on user load source code, to load default and also default folder & file permissions, creating you a new /TheLightingController folder with the correct permissions, which will allow the software to WRITE data to the folder...You can see this straight away when you load default & run Live, you should be able to switch on DMX & 3D..

Restoring My LightShows
If you can see 3D and Switch on DMX then you simply need to close Application, Live & ScreenControl & copy your "Personal Lightshow" from renamed /x TheLightingController folder back into the newly created /TheLightingController folder, basically back where it was before. Then Start the Application, changing the Lightshow to yours and hey presto it will works.

Thread Concisement
Team as you might appreciate this thread has gone into a lot of depth, mainly on my part about this issue & might be confusing for others to read and make sense of, therefore it might be worth mentioning this in a more concise thread as it is a common issue that will occur again with Mavericks Users and now we know how easy it is to fix, it will no doubt save us all a lot of time and headache in the future.

May I suggest something along the lines of "non responsive Controller due to OS X Permissions Error after either Update or Reinstall, Disk Utility - Verify Disk Permissions" & just mention how the issue might occur i.e. background, how to resolve etc and then delete these threads and sticky the concise one.
karlmosborne

Postby support » 11 June 2014, 21:29

After reading all your comments, we are a bit lost.

Would it be possible for you to tell, in a as short as possible explaination, what is finally the problem ?
The Lighting Controller
support
Administrateur

Postby karlmosborne » 20 June 2014, 12:54

Hi Team

Yes sure can you give me a call, as I need to know in short what you would like from me. As it proved to be quite a complicated case, which can easily be concised down if I know what you need.
karlmosborne

Return to Mac OS